Feb 21, 2013, 7:13 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
The amount of money the Ottawa Senators have on the sidelines is staggering, but will they get help via the trade market? (Ottawa Citizen)
The Washington Capitals are likely to err on the side of caution with defenseman Mike Green (lower body) after he returned too quickly from a groin injury last season and suffered a setback. (Washington Times)
At this rate, the New York Islanders will miss the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season, but GM Garth Snow sounds like someone who largely wants to stay the course. “We’re not going to mortgage our future to make a quick fix,” Snow said. “That’s not our plan.” (New York Newsday)
Bruins coach Claude Julien had nothing but praise for Lindy Ruff after he got relieved of his duties as the Buffalo Sabres’ bench boss. (CSN New England)
Meanwhile Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that coaches can sense when they’re about to get fired. Hitchcock had a chance to work with Ruff during the 2010 Winter Olympics and he thinks Ruff won’t have any trouble finding a coaching gig. Detroit bench boss Mike Babcock added that “someone is going to get themselves one hell of a person and a great, great coach.” (ESPN.com)
It looks like Dallas Stars goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp will get another chance to earn his first career NHL win on Thursday. (Dallas Morning News)
The San Jose Sharks have finally stopped the bleeding, but now they have to build some momentum off of their first February win. (San Jose Mercury News)
If you missed the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild 6-5 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can watch the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)