Feb 21, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
The amount of money the Ottawa Senators have on the sidelines is staggering, but will they get help via the trade market? (Ottawa Citizen)
The Washington Capitals are likely to err on the side of caution with defenseman Mike Green (lower body) after he returned too quickly from a groin injury last season and suffered a setback. (Washington Times)
At this rate, the New York Islanders will miss the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season, but GM Garth Snow sounds like someone who largely wants to stay the course. “We’re not going to mortgage our future to make a quick fix,” Snow said. “That’s not our plan.” (New York Newsday)
Bruins coach Claude Julien had nothing but praise for Lindy Ruff after he got relieved of his duties as the Buffalo Sabres’ bench boss. (CSN New England)
Meanwhile Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that coaches can sense when they’re about to get fired. Hitchcock had a chance to work with Ruff during the 2010 Winter Olympics and he thinks Ruff won’t have any trouble finding a coaching gig. Detroit bench boss Mike Babcock added that “someone is going to get themselves one hell of a person and a great, great coach.” (ESPN.com)
It looks like Dallas Stars goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp will get another chance to earn his first career NHL win on Thursday. (Dallas Morning News)
The San Jose Sharks have finally stopped the bleeding, but now they have to build some momentum off of their first February win. (San Jose Mercury News)
If you missed the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild 6-5 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can watch the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Vancouver leads L.A. by three points in the Pacific Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Vancouver creates breathing room in the Pacific Division.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Wild defeated the L.A. Kings 4-1.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Max Pacioretty scored the winner.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Toronto won for just the sixth time in 34 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Collided with Cody Goloubef in the first period.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He allowed two goals on nine first period shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Finished off a nice passing play by Jagr and Huberdeau.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s starter tested early.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Anaheim currently has the NHL’s best record as well.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Big win for the B’s.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The West’s first ticket gets punched.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
There’s plenty of debate about it being dirty or clean.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The only update so far is he’s “unlikely to return.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
A positive trend on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh killed the penalty.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)