Feb 21, 2013, 7:13 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
The amount of money the Ottawa Senators have on the sidelines is staggering, but will they get help via the trade market? (Ottawa Citizen)
The Washington Capitals are likely to err on the side of caution with defenseman Mike Green (lower body) after he returned too quickly from a groin injury last season and suffered a setback. (Washington Times)
At this rate, the New York Islanders will miss the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season, but GM Garth Snow sounds like someone who largely wants to stay the course. “We’re not going to mortgage our future to make a quick fix,” Snow said. “That’s not our plan.” (New York Newsday)
Bruins coach Claude Julien had nothing but praise for Lindy Ruff after he got relieved of his duties as the Buffalo Sabres’ bench boss. (CSN New England)
Meanwhile Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that coaches can sense when they’re about to get fired. Hitchcock had a chance to work with Ruff during the 2010 Winter Olympics and he thinks Ruff won’t have any trouble finding a coaching gig. Detroit bench boss Mike Babcock added that “someone is going to get themselves one hell of a person and a great, great coach.” (ESPN.com)
It looks like Dallas Stars goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp will get another chance to earn his first career NHL win on Thursday. (Dallas Morning News)
The San Jose Sharks have finally stopped the bleeding, but now they have to build some momentum off of their first February win. (San Jose Mercury News)
If you missed the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild 6-5 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can watch the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Team Foligno sweeps first competition.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
Johnny Hockey gets the nod.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Has gone from forward to defense, back to forward and back to defense.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
He’s ranked fourth in Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
Bragging rights on the line.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:21 PM EST
And what will the team look like?
Jan 24, 2015, 4:55 PM EST
It’s expected to be around $71.6 million to $72.2 million for the 2015-16 season.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EST
Slovenia’s (and Los Angeles’) Anze Kopitar figures to play a prominent role.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:02 PM EST
Will fans care? Is it fair?
Jan 24, 2015, 2:34 PM EST
“People are intrigued by this. There are going to be great storylines.”
Jan 24, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
Gillette Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium and Coors Field will play hosts
Jan 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
It all gets going at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:46 PM EST
“Again, I’ll repeat that for this team to be even remotely close to missing the playoffs isn’t something we can be happy about.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)