Feb 21, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
The amount of money the Ottawa Senators have on the sidelines is staggering, but will they get help via the trade market? (Ottawa Citizen)
The Washington Capitals are likely to err on the side of caution with defenseman Mike Green (lower body) after he returned too quickly from a groin injury last season and suffered a setback. (Washington Times)
At this rate, the New York Islanders will miss the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season, but GM Garth Snow sounds like someone who largely wants to stay the course. “We’re not going to mortgage our future to make a quick fix,” Snow said. “That’s not our plan.” (New York Newsday)
Bruins coach Claude Julien had nothing but praise for Lindy Ruff after he got relieved of his duties as the Buffalo Sabres’ bench boss. (CSN New England)
Meanwhile Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that coaches can sense when they’re about to get fired. Hitchcock had a chance to work with Ruff during the 2010 Winter Olympics and he thinks Ruff won’t have any trouble finding a coaching gig. Detroit bench boss Mike Babcock added that “someone is going to get themselves one hell of a person and a great, great coach.” (ESPN.com)
It looks like Dallas Stars goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp will get another chance to earn his first career NHL win on Thursday. (Dallas Morning News)
The San Jose Sharks have finally stopped the bleeding, but now they have to build some momentum off of their first February win. (San Jose Mercury News)
If you missed the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild 6-5 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can watch the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)