Feb 21, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers might get a boost up front this weekend in the form of Ryan Jones.
Jones, 28, could return from his partially torn retina in time for Saturday’s game in Edmonton against the Coyotes.
“We’ve got Ryan in the starting blocks,” Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger told the Edmonton Journal. “He’s such a character player for us. We can get him some battle drills in practice, but there’s nothing that can replace being in an actual game.
“We’ll start him slow when he returns. Six or seven minutes and then work his way into the 14 to 15-minute (a game) player.”
During the lockout, Jones took a puck to the face while training with fellow NHLers at the University of Minnesota. The end result was eye damage that required surgery, a procedure that has yet to allow him to play this season.
“There was some structural damage there, but it was quickly fixed. It wasn’t a complicated surgery,” he said back on Jan. 8. “There’s still some inflammation, but I’ve had one checkup and will be going back for another this Monday (Jan. 14), then I’ll be coming to Edmonton.”
Jones has been skating with the Oilers and reportedly won’t be sent to AHL Oklahoma City for conditioning.
The rugged winger will be a major boost for Edmonto. He’s scored 35 goals over the last two seasons and finished second among all forwards in hits last season, with 119.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell’s four assists included a wondrous “kick-pass.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
His 33rd goose egg breaks a brief tie with Rogie Vachon.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
This one didn’t come against Colorado, either.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
They’ll also have a tribute to Nathan Cirillo.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Chris Kelly calls him “irreplaceable.”
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Grim times for Carolina.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Bruins haven’t confirmed or denied the dire update.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Is “revenge” too strong of a word for it?
Oct 23, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne wasn’t too shabby, either.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall made it happen.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Bad update for the Islanders.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
Was it the big hit he landed on John Tavares?
Oct 23, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Might be for the best.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
He’s hoping no one drops the gloves with Jordan tonight.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s offense could use the power forward.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Colorado could really use a win.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
“Mirco’s not going anywhere.”
Oct 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
And it’s a pretty impressive projected top six.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Washington’s looked pretty darn good under Barry Trotz.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
“I thought our team was really resilient,” said Dan Hamhuis.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)