Feb 21, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
With just two wins in their last nine games, the Edmonton Oilers (6-6-3) need to turn things around soon if they want to accomplish what forward Taylor Hall calls their “ultimate goal,” which is to make the playoffs.
“It’s now, kind or, or never,” Hall said Thursday morning ahead of tonight’s home game against Minnesota, per the Edmonton Journal.
“If we don’t start winning games now, we’re going to put ourselves in a really hard spot come the end of the year.”
Hall thinks making the postseason is a realistic goal for the Oilers.
“I think everyone in this room realizes that we can make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s not like in the past years where we had to play out of our minds. This is a group that can do it.”
Edmonton hasn’t qualified for the postseason since it went all the way to the Stanley Cup finals in 2006. The team’s fans have largely stayed patient during the rebuild, but patience is starting to run out.
Also looming for the Oilers is a nine-game road trip, which starts next Monday against the NHL-best Blackhawks in Chicago.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 25
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 2
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)