Feb 21, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
With just two wins in their last nine games, the Edmonton Oilers (6-6-3) need to turn things around soon if they want to accomplish what forward Taylor Hall calls their “ultimate goal,” which is to make the playoffs.
“It’s now, kind or, or never,” Hall said Thursday morning ahead of tonight’s home game against Minnesota, per the Edmonton Journal.
“If we don’t start winning games now, we’re going to put ourselves in a really hard spot come the end of the year.”
Hall thinks making the postseason is a realistic goal for the Oilers.
“I think everyone in this room realizes that we can make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s not like in the past years where we had to play out of our minds. This is a group that can do it.”
Edmonton hasn’t qualified for the postseason since it went all the way to the Stanley Cup finals in 2006. The team’s fans have largely stayed patient during the rebuild, but patience is starting to run out.
Also looming for the Oilers is a nine-game road trip, which starts next Monday against the NHL-best Blackhawks in Chicago.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)