Feb 21, 2013, 1:57 AM EDT
Back-to-back wins for the L.A. Kings in Alberta has given the defending Stanley Cup champs wins in four of their last five games.
On Wednesday, a night after displacing the Edmonton Oilers, the Kings defeated the Calgary Flames 3-1.
The Kings have played eight of their first nine games in February away from Los Angeles. They’ll return home to the Staples Center for eight of their next nine games.
“That was definitely a good road game especially coming in at two o’clock in the morning and have to get up,” Kings forward Anze Kopitar told NHL.com.
“We had a good start and that’s what we wanted, and I thought our pace of play was pretty good throughout. We didn’t have too many breakdowns, but it’s going to happen. They have skilled players that are going to make good plays. (Jonathan Bernier) was able to be there for us.”
The Flames, on the other hand, continue to struggle. They’re now only three points up on the last-place Columbus Blue Jackets in the Western Conference standings. They’ve lost three of their last four games. The Flames have been outscored a combined 12-3 in those three losses.
“Our job is to find solutions, but I don’t think the solutions are in the newspapers or in my office,” Flames head coach Bob Hartley told the Calgary Sun.
“They’re on the ice, and it’s all a matter of being ready.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)