Feb 21, 2013, 1:57 AM EST
Back-to-back wins for the L.A. Kings in Alberta has given the defending Stanley Cup champs wins in four of their last five games.
On Wednesday, a night after displacing the Edmonton Oilers, the Kings defeated the Calgary Flames 3-1.
The Kings have played eight of their first nine games in February away from Los Angeles. They’ll return home to the Staples Center for eight of their next nine games.
“That was definitely a good road game especially coming in at two o’clock in the morning and have to get up,” Kings forward Anze Kopitar told NHL.com.
“We had a good start and that’s what we wanted, and I thought our pace of play was pretty good throughout. We didn’t have too many breakdowns, but it’s going to happen. They have skilled players that are going to make good plays. (Jonathan Bernier) was able to be there for us.”
The Flames, on the other hand, continue to struggle. They’re now only three points up on the last-place Columbus Blue Jackets in the Western Conference standings. They’ve lost three of their last four games. The Flames have been outscored a combined 12-3 in those three losses.
“Our job is to find solutions, but I don’t think the solutions are in the newspapers or in my office,” Flames head coach Bob Hartley told the Calgary Sun.
“They’re on the ice, and it’s all a matter of being ready.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)