Feb 21, 2013, 1:57 AM EST
Back-to-back wins for the L.A. Kings in Alberta has given the defending Stanley Cup champs wins in four of their last five games.
On Wednesday, a night after displacing the Edmonton Oilers, the Kings defeated the Calgary Flames 3-1.
The Kings have played eight of their first nine games in February away from Los Angeles. They’ll return home to the Staples Center for eight of their next nine games.
“That was definitely a good road game especially coming in at two o’clock in the morning and have to get up,” Kings forward Anze Kopitar told NHL.com.
“We had a good start and that’s what we wanted, and I thought our pace of play was pretty good throughout. We didn’t have too many breakdowns, but it’s going to happen. They have skilled players that are going to make good plays. (Jonathan Bernier) was able to be there for us.”
The Flames, on the other hand, continue to struggle. They’re now only three points up on the last-place Columbus Blue Jackets in the Western Conference standings. They’ve lost three of their last four games. The Flames have been outscored a combined 12-3 in those three losses.
“Our job is to find solutions, but I don’t think the solutions are in the newspapers or in my office,” Flames head coach Bob Hartley told the Calgary Sun.
“They’re on the ice, and it’s all a matter of being ready.”
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)