Feb 21, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond suffered a skate cut to his leg during Thursday’s morning skate, severe enough for an ambulance to be called to the PNC Arena in Carolina.
The Jets are scheduled to take on the ‘Canes tonight at 7 p.m. ET.
Here are various witness accounts of what transpired:
Ambulance has arrived. Redmond will be transported to hospital. A number of Jets players, coaches gathered around him.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) February 21, 2013
Redmond by the goal went down and teammates brought towels to stop the bleeding. Off ice by ambulance now
— Chantel McCabe (@CanesChantel) February 21, 2013
Redmond has been taken by ambulance to hospital and there is a large pool of blood on the ice. All #NHLJets players, personnel in shock
— Ken Wiebe (@WiebeSunSports) February 21, 2013
— Ed Tait (@WFPEdTait) February 21, 2013
Redmond, 24, is in his first year with the Jets. He’s appeared in eight games this year for the Jets, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS.
More information will be posted once it’s become available.
Update: Here’s more, from the Winnipeg Free Press…
The rookie blueliner was apparently slashed by a falling teammate’s skate.
Update 2: From Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun…
“It’s a fairly wide cut, so we’re taking [Redmond] to the hospital and we’ll see what the diagnosis is when they take a look at him there,” said Jets head coach Claude Noel. “He lost a fair bit of blood and he’s in some pain. It looks like it’s a vein. It’s tough on your team.
“He was in some pain and probably shocked at what took place. He was coherent going into the ambulance and they’ll look after him.”
Update 3: From CBC Manitoba…
The team was executing a 1-on-1 drill near the end of their practice when Redmond fell.
A teammate then accidentally skated over his thigh, cutting the back of Redmond’s leg.
He was taken to hospital, where he had to undergo surgery.
It’s also worth noting that, according to Tait, Redmond was wearing protective Kevlar socks — but he was cut above them.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
But are any teams mulling his return?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Where he’ll work as a community liaison.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
“I want to go free.”
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…
Jul 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
“I’ll have to start thinking about it more and more in the next couple of weeks.”
Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT
Hence the six-year, $39 million contract.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The alignment debate rages on.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Russ Brandon takes over.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Click to see the full list.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Click to see who’s still left.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Hearing scheduled for Wednesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
No arbitrator required.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
He calls it the six-year, $25 million contract “good for both sides.”
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
The only certainty is short-term.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
Playing between Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon would excite plenty of people.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Holdovers are noticing a summer of improvements for Buffalo.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The two sides avoided arbitration on Sunday.
Jul 26, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Columbus hasn’t had a long history of being a “cap team.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)