Feb 21, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond suffered a skate cut to his leg during Thursday’s morning skate, severe enough for an ambulance to be called to the PNC Arena in Carolina.
The Jets are scheduled to take on the ‘Canes tonight at 7 p.m. ET.
Here are various witness accounts of what transpired:
Ambulance has arrived. Redmond will be transported to hospital. A number of Jets players, coaches gathered around him.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) February 21, 2013
Redmond by the goal went down and teammates brought towels to stop the bleeding. Off ice by ambulance now
— Chantel McCabe (@CanesChantel) February 21, 2013
Redmond has been taken by ambulance to hospital and there is a large pool of blood on the ice. All #NHLJets players, personnel in shock
— Ken Wiebe (@WiebeSunSports) February 21, 2013
— Ed Tait (@WFPEdTait) February 21, 2013
Redmond, 24, is in his first year with the Jets. He’s appeared in eight games this year for the Jets, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS.
More information will be posted once it’s become available.
Update: Here’s more, from the Winnipeg Free Press…
The rookie blueliner was apparently slashed by a falling teammate’s skate.
Update 2: From Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun…
“It’s a fairly wide cut, so we’re taking [Redmond] to the hospital and we’ll see what the diagnosis is when they take a look at him there,” said Jets head coach Claude Noel. “He lost a fair bit of blood and he’s in some pain. It looks like it’s a vein. It’s tough on your team.
“He was in some pain and probably shocked at what took place. He was coherent going into the ambulance and they’ll look after him.”
Update 3: From CBC Manitoba…
The team was executing a 1-on-1 drill near the end of their practice when Redmond fell.
A teammate then accidentally skated over his thigh, cutting the back of Redmond’s leg.
He was taken to hospital, where he had to undergo surgery.
It’s also worth noting that, according to Tait, Redmond was wearing protective Kevlar socks — but he was cut above them.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 48
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 88
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 5
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 176
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (178)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)