Feb 21, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond suffered a skate cut to his leg during Thursday’s morning skate, severe enough for an ambulance to be called to the PNC Arena in Carolina.
The Jets are scheduled to take on the ‘Canes tonight at 7 p.m. ET.
Here are various witness accounts of what transpired:
Ambulance has arrived. Redmond will be transported to hospital. A number of Jets players, coaches gathered around him.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) February 21, 2013
Redmond by the goal went down and teammates brought towels to stop the bleeding. Off ice by ambulance now
— Chantel McCabe (@CanesChantel) February 21, 2013
Redmond has been taken by ambulance to hospital and there is a large pool of blood on the ice. All #NHLJets players, personnel in shock
— Ken Wiebe (@WiebeSunSports) February 21, 2013
— Ed Tait (@WFPEdTait) February 21, 2013
Redmond, 24, is in his first year with the Jets. He’s appeared in eight games this year for the Jets, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS.
More information will be posted once it’s become available.
Update: Here’s more, from the Winnipeg Free Press…
The rookie blueliner was apparently slashed by a falling teammate’s skate.
Update 2: From Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun…
“It’s a fairly wide cut, so we’re taking [Redmond] to the hospital and we’ll see what the diagnosis is when they take a look at him there,” said Jets head coach Claude Noel. “He lost a fair bit of blood and he’s in some pain. It looks like it’s a vein. It’s tough on your team.
“He was in some pain and probably shocked at what took place. He was coherent going into the ambulance and they’ll look after him.”
Update 3: From CBC Manitoba…
The team was executing a 1-on-1 drill near the end of their practice when Redmond fell.
A teammate then accidentally skated over his thigh, cutting the back of Redmond’s leg.
He was taken to hospital, where he had to undergo surgery.
It’s also worth noting that, according to Tait, Redmond was wearing protective Kevlar socks — but he was cut above them.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
May 25, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
This saga isn’t quite over yet.
May 25, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Kids will learn how to hit later.
May 25, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
This sounds a bit familiar.
May 25, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
He was Philly’s coach for four years.
May 25, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Chicago and New York look to live another day.
May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
His blue line experience was missed.
May 25, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
One loss away from elimination.
May 25, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
Future of the NHL.
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
Now, that’s a toe-drag.
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Was Friday’s loss his last NHL games?
May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh wins in five games.
May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Bad blood, although this seemed unnecessary.
May 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Big developments coming out of the desert.
May 24, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Await winner of Boston-New York.
May 24, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
L.A. can move to conference final with a win over the Sharks in Game 6.
May 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
Not speaking about Bobrovsky, but in general.
May 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
You be the judge.
May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 58
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 29
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination