Feb 21, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond suffered a skate cut to his leg during Thursday’s morning skate, severe enough for an ambulance to be called to the PNC Arena in Carolina.
The Jets are scheduled to take on the ‘Canes tonight at 7 p.m. ET.
Here are various witness accounts of what transpired:
Ambulance has arrived. Redmond will be transported to hospital. A number of Jets players, coaches gathered around him.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) February 21, 2013
Redmond by the goal went down and teammates brought towels to stop the bleeding. Off ice by ambulance now
— Chantel McCabe (@CanesChantel) February 21, 2013
Redmond has been taken by ambulance to hospital and there is a large pool of blood on the ice. All #NHLJets players, personnel in shock
— Ken Wiebe (@WiebeSunSports) February 21, 2013
— Ed Tait (@WFPEdTait) February 21, 2013
Redmond, 24, is in his first year with the Jets. He’s appeared in eight games this year for the Jets, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS.
More information will be posted once it’s become available.
Update: Here’s more, from the Winnipeg Free Press…
The rookie blueliner was apparently slashed by a falling teammate’s skate.
Update 2: From Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun…
“It’s a fairly wide cut, so we’re taking [Redmond] to the hospital and we’ll see what the diagnosis is when they take a look at him there,” said Jets head coach Claude Noel. “He lost a fair bit of blood and he’s in some pain. It looks like it’s a vein. It’s tough on your team.
“He was in some pain and probably shocked at what took place. He was coherent going into the ambulance and they’ll look after him.”
Update 3: From CBC Manitoba…
The team was executing a 1-on-1 drill near the end of their practice when Redmond fell.
A teammate then accidentally skated over his thigh, cutting the back of Redmond’s leg.
He was taken to hospital, where he had to undergo surgery.
It’s also worth noting that, according to Tait, Redmond was wearing protective Kevlar socks — but he was cut above them.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM EST
Kids. They do the darndest things.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Has only been to the playoffs once in his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
New York gets Mark Louis in the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
It’s the veteran’s third team this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Couple of minor-league forwards switch clubs.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 PM EST
Buffalo also gets a third-round pick in 2016.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:44 PM EST
Doug Wilson, making deals.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:41 PM EST
San Jose gets a conditional 2015 or 2016 draft pick in return.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EST
Jim Rutherford and Doug Armstrong orchestrate another.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Yes, he shoots right.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
Western Conference foes flip forwards.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:32 PM EST
The goaltender led the Sens to three straight wins.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:10 PM EST
Don Maloney’s a busy man.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Couple of potential scenarios being reported.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Veteran blueliner is currently sidelined with a concussion, however.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
Fifth-round pick goes to Buffalo.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:11 AM EST
“He’s a player we kind of looked at for a while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
They’ll play against Carolina Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:24 AM EST
Montreal strikes first on deadline day.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 56
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)