Feb 21, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond suffered a skate cut to his leg during Thursday’s morning skate, severe enough for an ambulance to be called to the PNC Arena in Carolina.
The Jets are scheduled to take on the ‘Canes tonight at 7 p.m. ET.
Here are various witness accounts of what transpired:
Ambulance has arrived. Redmond will be transported to hospital. A number of Jets players, coaches gathered around him.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) February 21, 2013
Redmond by the goal went down and teammates brought towels to stop the bleeding. Off ice by ambulance now
— Chantel McCabe (@CanesChantel) February 21, 2013
Redmond has been taken by ambulance to hospital and there is a large pool of blood on the ice. All #NHLJets players, personnel in shock
— Ken Wiebe (@WiebeSunSports) February 21, 2013
— Ed Tait (@WFPEdTait) February 21, 2013
Redmond, 24, is in his first year with the Jets. He’s appeared in eight games this year for the Jets, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS.
More information will be posted once it’s become available.
Update: Here’s more, from the Winnipeg Free Press…
The rookie blueliner was apparently slashed by a falling teammate’s skate.
Update 2: From Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun…
“It’s a fairly wide cut, so we’re taking [Redmond] to the hospital and we’ll see what the diagnosis is when they take a look at him there,” said Jets head coach Claude Noel. “He lost a fair bit of blood and he’s in some pain. It looks like it’s a vein. It’s tough on your team.
“He was in some pain and probably shocked at what took place. He was coherent going into the ambulance and they’ll look after him.”
Update 3: From CBC Manitoba…
The team was executing a 1-on-1 drill near the end of their practice when Redmond fell.
A teammate then accidentally skated over his thigh, cutting the back of Redmond’s leg.
He was taken to hospital, where he had to undergo surgery.
It’s also worth noting that, according to Tait, Redmond was wearing protective Kevlar socks — but he was cut above them.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s a motivation thing.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
He had eight points in 19 games with New York.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
New York, St. Louis, Denver, and San Jose is where it’s at tonight.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
A Tyler Seguin bullet, no less.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 AM EDT
A tale of two games, really.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
“We did it time and time again.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
“It’s one that got by him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Get used to these stories of toughness.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec spoils Tampa Bay’s lead.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)