Feb 21, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The thought was that the Ottawa Senators’ playoff hopes hinged on Craig Anderson after both Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza needed surgeries during the 2013 season. Now even Anderson might be out of action.
The 31-year-old goalie left the ice on Thursday after New York Rangers forward Chris Kreider collided with him in net.
Update: the team describes his injury as a sprained ankle, leaving him day-to-day.
If he ends up missing several days, it continues a stunning parade of injuries for Ottawa. The only bright side in that scenario is that the Senators have two other goalies with nice potential: big netminder Ben Bishop and prized prospect Robin Lehner.
Even so, if this is a long-term issue and the Senators still remain competitive, head coach Paul MacLean will generate some serious Jack Adams credibility.
Here’s video of the collision:
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)