Feb 21, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The thought was that the Ottawa Senators’ playoff hopes hinged on Craig Anderson after both Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza needed surgeries during the 2013 season. Now even Anderson might be out of action.
The 31-year-old goalie left the ice on Thursday after New York Rangers forward Chris Kreider collided with him in net.
Update: the team describes his injury as a sprained ankle, leaving him day-to-day.
If he ends up missing several days, it continues a stunning parade of injuries for Ottawa. The only bright side in that scenario is that the Senators have two other goalies with nice potential: big netminder Ben Bishop and prized prospect Robin Lehner.
Even so, if this is a long-term issue and the Senators still remain competitive, head coach Paul MacLean will generate some serious Jack Adams credibility.
Here’s video of the collision:
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 10
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 4
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 88
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (88)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness