Feb 21, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
Just another typical Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game – intense, high-scoring and exciting. No place for that in hockey.
The two teams combined for six third period goals, with Philadelphia jumping out to a pair of two-goal leads only to have the Penguins come back. The Flyers hung for a 6-5 victory on the road, thanks to a Jakub Voracek goal – his third of the night – with 1:31 remaining in regulation time.
“I was just trying to throw it at the net so someone could get a rebound,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer of his winning goal.
“But it took a lucky bounce and I’ll take it.”
The Penguins had just tied the game up on a Brandon Sutter goal with 2:03 left in the final period.
Needless to say, tying the game up and then giving up the winning goal within a 32-second span didn’t sit well with the Penguins post-game.
“It was entertaining for the fans,” Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“But I don’t think it’s conducive to winning.”
The Flyers played most of the game without their leading goal scorer Matt Read.
The 26-year-old Read suffered an “upper body injury” in the first period and did not return.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly wrote that Read took a hit from Penguins forward Chris Kunitz, and may have taken a puck in the chest.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
He could be back in the lineup next week.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
They’ve dug themselves a big hole early on.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links you need to start the day.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
Perhaps up to $71 million for next season.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 69
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)