Feb 21, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Just another typical Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game – intense, high-scoring and exciting. No place for that in hockey.
The two teams combined for six third period goals, with Philadelphia jumping out to a pair of two-goal leads only to have the Penguins come back. The Flyers hung for a 6-5 victory on the road, thanks to a Jakub Voracek goal – his third of the night – with 1:31 remaining in regulation time.
“I was just trying to throw it at the net so someone could get a rebound,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer of his winning goal.
“But it took a lucky bounce and I’ll take it.”
The Penguins had just tied the game up on a Brandon Sutter goal with 2:03 left in the final period.
Needless to say, tying the game up and then giving up the winning goal within a 32-second span didn’t sit well with the Penguins post-game.
“It was entertaining for the fans,” Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“But I don’t think it’s conducive to winning.”
The Flyers played most of the game without their leading goal scorer Matt Read.
The 26-year-old Read suffered an “upper body injury” in the first period and did not return.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly wrote that Read took a hit from Penguins forward Chris Kunitz, and may have taken a puck in the chest.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)