Feb 21, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Just another typical Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game – intense, high-scoring and exciting. No place for that in hockey.
The two teams combined for six third period goals, with Philadelphia jumping out to a pair of two-goal leads only to have the Penguins come back. The Flyers hung for a 6-5 victory on the road, thanks to a Jakub Voracek goal – his third of the night – with 1:31 remaining in regulation time.
“I was just trying to throw it at the net so someone could get a rebound,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer of his winning goal.
“But it took a lucky bounce and I’ll take it.”
The Penguins had just tied the game up on a Brandon Sutter goal with 2:03 left in the final period.
Needless to say, tying the game up and then giving up the winning goal within a 32-second span didn’t sit well with the Penguins post-game.
“It was entertaining for the fans,” Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“But I don’t think it’s conducive to winning.”
The Flyers played most of the game without their leading goal scorer Matt Read.
The 26-year-old Read suffered an “upper body injury” in the first period and did not return.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly wrote that Read took a hit from Penguins forward Chris Kunitz, and may have taken a puck in the chest.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)