Feb 21, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Just another typical Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game – intense, high-scoring and exciting. No place for that in hockey.
The two teams combined for six third period goals, with Philadelphia jumping out to a pair of two-goal leads only to have the Penguins come back. The Flyers hung for a 6-5 victory on the road, thanks to a Jakub Voracek goal – his third of the night – with 1:31 remaining in regulation time.
“I was just trying to throw it at the net so someone could get a rebound,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer of his winning goal.
“But it took a lucky bounce and I’ll take it.”
The Penguins had just tied the game up on a Brandon Sutter goal with 2:03 left in the final period.
Needless to say, tying the game up and then giving up the winning goal within a 32-second span didn’t sit well with the Penguins post-game.
“It was entertaining for the fans,” Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“But I don’t think it’s conducive to winning.”
The Flyers played most of the game without their leading goal scorer Matt Read.
The 26-year-old Read suffered an “upper body injury” in the first period and did not return.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly wrote that Read took a hit from Penguins forward Chris Kunitz, and may have taken a puck in the chest.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)