Feb 21, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The sophomore winger will miss about six weeks with torn rib cage muscles, according to CSNPhilly.com. He suffered the injury during last night’s ratings record-breaking win against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Read, 26, was producing promising work in his second season with the Flyers. After collecting 47 points last season, he already had 13 (including a team-leading seven goals) in 18 games in 2013. He spent much of his time on a red-hot line with Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.
Another young forward, Tye McGinn, is expected to return to the Flyers lineup in Read’s absence. The Flyers host the Florida Panthers in a game that started at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday night.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)