Feb 21, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The sophomore winger will miss about six weeks with torn rib cage muscles, according to CSNPhilly.com. He suffered the injury during last night’s ratings record-breaking win against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Read, 26, was producing promising work in his second season with the Flyers. After collecting 47 points last season, he already had 13 (including a team-leading seven goals) in 18 games in 2013. He spent much of his time on a red-hot line with Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.
Another young forward, Tye McGinn, is expected to return to the Flyers lineup in Read’s absence. The Flyers host the Florida Panthers in a game that started at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday night.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 58
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)