Feb 21, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
The sophomore winger will miss about six weeks with torn rib cage muscles, according to CSNPhilly.com. He suffered the injury during last night’s ratings record-breaking win against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Read, 26, was producing promising work in his second season with the Flyers. After collecting 47 points last season, he already had 13 (including a team-leading seven goals) in 18 games in 2013. He spent much of his time on a red-hot line with Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.
Another young forward, Tye McGinn, is expected to return to the Flyers lineup in Read’s absence. The Flyers host the Florida Panthers in a game that started at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday night.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)