Flyers’ Read (torn rib cage) out six weeks

Feb 21, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT

mattreadgetty Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers are close to getting key contributor Scott Hartnell back, but now goals-leader Matt Read will be sidelined for a big chunk of the 2013 season.

The sophomore winger will miss about six weeks with torn rib cage muscles, according to CSNPhilly.com. He suffered the injury during last night’s ratings record-breaking win against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Read, 26, was producing promising work in his second season with the Flyers. After collecting 47 points last season, he already had 13 (including a team-leading seven goals) in 18 games in 2013. He spent much of his time on a red-hot line with Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.

Another young forward, Tye McGinn, is expected to return to the Flyers lineup in Read’s absence. The Flyers host the Florida Panthers in a game that started at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday night.

1. uncledick - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Injury bug crushing the Flyers this year, good thing Hartsy is only a week off.

2. bobhpine - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

The problem isn’t injuries. The problem is never winning the Stanley Cup.

• ml3939 - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

It is a shame your mom could only afford the first half of the dictionary otherwise you could look up the definition of the word never. For example, bobhpine never contributes worthwhile comments.

• aso513 - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Haha ml3939 with a great comment. Well done man.

• hockeyfan28 - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Does seem some people think there’s a magical Stanley cup button that the team should have pushed somewhere the Toronto Maple Leafs have been looking for it since 1964

3. bobhpine - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Unless you’re in your forties it might as well be never. Bobby Clarke is really old dude.

4. bobhpine - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

How about this…ml3939 will never have a girlfriend, will never have a decent job, will only move out of his mom’s basement when she dies, and will never see his beloved Flyers win the cup. You will die alone, however.

I think I got it ml3939!

• ml3939 - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Yeah, you got me there. Not only do you make thought provoking remarks about hockey but you immediately steal my implied joke and use it on me. It is good to see the “I know you are but what am I” defense is making a comeback.

• bobhpine - Feb 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I was at the game last night in a box. It’s great. I go to about half the games, I have a parking pass, eat free food, drink wine. It appears you don’t get to very many games. That’s sad for you. Maybe I’ll send you a program.

• bobhpine - Feb 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM

What do you get at your job? Smoke break?

• paresident21 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Whats next you gonna take a bath while drinking wine? I go to half the games in a private box too next to ed sniders, whats that prove? I have a job at the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world, again whats the relevancce to hockey? You are very bitter the flyers beat the pens, and like half the penguins fan base you dont remember the stanley cup they won because you only jumped on the bsndwagon after. Congrats on being the biggest bandwagon fanbase.

• ml3939 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I had know idea I was dealing with a member of Pittsburgh’s royal family. You have been to games, plural? That’s incredible. You drink wine, get out! With your pinkie in the air? Free food? Get outta here. Man, tell me more. Let me hear all about your Aston Martin (your errand car of course) or your Movado’s (one for every day of the month and how at the end of that one February you just couldn’t decide on which one to wear so your buddies at he yacht club thought it would be so cool if you wore your remaining four all at once on the 28th that one year) or how you told the Black Rock guy you only deal with the big firms. Please, don’t deprive us of the google earth shot of your estate clearly seen from 1.3 miles above the earth’s surface.

And I am sure you are sick of telling the story by now, but just one more time, please. Tell us about the time you and Orpick hid Syd’s Bic razor at Mario’s Christmas party and you took your son’s Thursday allowance to purchase Bic’s entire line of razor’s so Syd’s couldn’t shave his moustasche for 5 months.

• ibieiniid - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM

look out, this guy has a parking pass.

drink beer, you queer.

• ibieiniid - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM

i’m beginning to think ml3939 is a comic genius. keep em comin’.

• paresident21 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Annd you being from pittsburgh im sure it was a major accomplishment moving out of your moms basement and making over minimum Wage at age 30 congrats!

• bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Enjoy the games on your couch shouting at the television. Maybe you can save up for a game someday.

• bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Moustasche….that is just awesome. I should stop indulging such a moron.

Seriously though man, when was the last time you actually went to a game?

Is that your make-a-wish? I know sometimes Mario lets moon-faced kids with extra chromosomes go to a game every now and then. I’ll look for you at the game and try not to stare too long.

• ml3939 - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Aw, you just keep getting me Bob. Is that what you and your hoighty-toighty friends do in the box, pick on the make-a-wish kids Mario parades out there? I need to know more about your elitist lifestyle, I am overcome with envy. Tell me about the lobster that goes as far as the eye can see, the topless women fanning you and the other aristocrats while feeding you grapes or the post game parties in the hamptons.

Please, let’s keep this on point. I cannot afford to get in a pissing match with you- I have not been to over a hundred Flyers games, the Winter Classic, seen teams that Mario was not good enough to get to the playoffs, witnessed R.J. Umberger and Joffrey Lupul get hat tricks in the same game against the Penguins. These must be someone else’s memories. So please, enough about me, I need to hear all about the lifestyle of a high roller like you since you clearly don’t share your wealth of hockey knowledge here on this proletariat website. You save the good stuff for one of those pay sites you and the rest of the high rollers frequent. All that we get if rom you is a parade of the creative 1975 and ginger comments.

• tfaltin - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Clearly bobhpine is nothing more than a lucky sperm who was born into a favorable situation based upon his father’s, or possibly this grandfather’s success. First, if your job warranted such prestige, benefits, and class, you’d probably be the sort of person to refrain from referring to Bobby Clarke as a “really old dude” and reduce to the level of “never have a girlfriend” jokes. You also would probably be more secure in your stature than to look for approval, or brag of your “success” on message boards.

Put me up in 300-levels with some beers and the rest of the real fans, who don’t need a program to tell them who is on the effing ice.

5. hockeyfan28 - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

This teams like Mr. Miyagi….up……down……up…….down……..but after last nights war if there was ever a game
    they where going to be flat it was this one

6. bobhpine - Feb 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Bryz looked great tonight, girls.

• paresident21 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Still looked better than vokoun when the flyers beat the pens hahaha loser

• bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

1975

• bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:48 AM

8-10-1

10th place.

Like those Stanley cups from before you were born, something that happened in the past (one victory against the Penguins) will have to sustain you through numerous future losses.

Look at that record one more time.

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Bobhpine you are such a dbag. Your arguements against the Flyers are simply “1975” and bragging about how many games you attend? Awesome dude. We’re all amazed that you get to drink wine in your suite away from all the petty commoners and “moon faced kids” who aren’t fit to be in your presence. I guess being a fan depends solely on having a parking pass? You sir are the epitome of the “conceited Pens fan”. You come on a Flyers page to troll after a Flyers loss because it’s easy. But where were you after Wednesdays game? You’re a transparent loser who thinks you’re better than everyone cuz you sit in an isolated box eating free food. When did you start watching the Pens? 2008? Try bringing an original thought to the table for once you troll.

7. govtminion - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Torn rib cage… holy crap that sounds painful. o,O

Heal up quick!

8. cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Cooke should be suspended for this.

9. phillyphanatic77 - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Can we get any help from the Hockey Gods? We come up with a huge win against the Pens then lose our most consistent forward. It’s ridiculous. Atleast when we get Hartnell back there will be an open spot on the top line.

10. chrisk61 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

you guys are like little girls. sniping. tit for tat. bottom line is flyers have current bragging rights due to last yr’s playoff series win. and to a much lesser extent they can gloat about wed nite’s gm, but in the big picture, a single reg season gm doesn’t mean much. the next real installment of this rivalry won’t play out til the playoffs.

• jpelle82 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM

if the flyers even make it….

• ml3939 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Actually big time bobhpine insists on snipping tit for tat. I am not looking for a pissing match, especially one of material substance. I would like to read diverse and intelligent takes on hockey, even ones that I do not agree with but happen to be thoughtfully constructed. I could be mature and ignore the comments and not give him the attention he is so desperately crying out for but I am not sure that really helps either. The trolls feed on new stories, not responses. There is no moderator here weeding out trolls for blatant stupidity and ignorance.

11. leeemmbee - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Bobhpine ~ why don’t you look at this record? >>>>>> Flyers’ lifetime record against the Penguins is 143-83-30

12. johncreeperama - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

ML3939 I think you missed on Bob. He said he went to half the games and has a parking pass etc… He is not rich by any means, you were right about his moms basement. He works at the place picking up trash or showing people to their box seats. He sneaks free food, and drinks leftovers.

• ml3939 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Good point, I may have grossly overvalued his statements.

13. bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM