Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Will Patrik Elias one day make the Hockey Hall of Fame?
According to his head coach, it’s not even a question.
“I don’t think there is any doubt he’s a Hall of Fame player,” Devils bench boss Pete DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It’s a great luxury to have him on the ice and in the dressing room. He thinks like a coach and he has a world-class player’s skills.
“When you’re building a hockey player, you can’t ask for much more than that.”
Let’s take a look at Elias’ resume:
– 1058 games played: 365G-548A-913PTS
– Two Stanley Cups (’00, ’03)
– Two Stanley Cup finals (’01, ’12)
– Three All-Star appearances
– 1998 All-Rookie 1st Team
– 2001 NHL 1st All-Star team
– Olympic Bronze (’06)
– New Jersey’s all-time leader in goals, points.
Elias’ point total might work against him, but statistical evidence shouldn’t keep Elias out of the Hall, according to DeBoer.
“Absolutely not. There is a reason why winning follows certain players around. It’s not an accident and it’s not situational,” DeBoer explained. “When you are around Patrik every day you see not only why he has won, but why he’s been a key part of this organization winning over the last decade.”
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks