Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Will Patrik Elias one day make the Hockey Hall of Fame?
According to his head coach, it’s not even a question.
“I don’t think there is any doubt he’s a Hall of Fame player,” Devils bench boss Pete DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It’s a great luxury to have him on the ice and in the dressing room. He thinks like a coach and he has a world-class player’s skills.
“When you’re building a hockey player, you can’t ask for much more than that.”
Let’s take a look at Elias’ resume:
– 1058 games played: 365G-548A-913PTS
– Two Stanley Cups (’00, ’03)
– Two Stanley Cup finals (’01, ’12)
– Three All-Star appearances
– 1998 All-Rookie 1st Team
– 2001 NHL 1st All-Star team
– Olympic Bronze (’06)
– New Jersey’s all-time leader in goals, points.
Elias’ point total might work against him, but statistical evidence shouldn’t keep Elias out of the Hall, according to DeBoer.
“Absolutely not. There is a reason why winning follows certain players around. It’s not an accident and it’s not situational,” DeBoer explained. “When you are around Patrik every day you see not only why he has won, but why he’s been a key part of this organization winning over the last decade.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)