Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Will Patrik Elias one day make the Hockey Hall of Fame?
According to his head coach, it’s not even a question.
“I don’t think there is any doubt he’s a Hall of Fame player,” Devils bench boss Pete DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It’s a great luxury to have him on the ice and in the dressing room. He thinks like a coach and he has a world-class player’s skills.
“When you’re building a hockey player, you can’t ask for much more than that.”
Let’s take a look at Elias’ resume:
— 1058 games played: 365G-548A-913PTS
— Two Stanley Cups (’00, ’03)
— Two Stanley Cup finals (’01, ’12)
— Three All-Star appearances
— 1998 All-Rookie 1st Team
— 2001 NHL 1st All-Star team
— Olympic Bronze (’06)
— New Jersey’s all-time leader in goals, points.
Elias’ point total might work against him, but statistical evidence shouldn’t keep Elias out of the Hall, according to DeBoer.
“Absolutely not. There is a reason why winning follows certain players around. It’s not an accident and it’s not situational,” DeBoer explained. “When you are around Patrik every day you see not only why he has won, but why he’s been a key part of this organization winning over the last decade.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)