Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Will Patrik Elias one day make the Hockey Hall of Fame?
According to his head coach, it’s not even a question.
“I don’t think there is any doubt he’s a Hall of Fame player,” Devils bench boss Pete DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It’s a great luxury to have him on the ice and in the dressing room. He thinks like a coach and he has a world-class player’s skills.
“When you’re building a hockey player, you can’t ask for much more than that.”
Let’s take a look at Elias’ resume:
– 1058 games played: 365G-548A-913PTS
– Two Stanley Cups (’00, ’03)
– Two Stanley Cup finals (’01, ’12)
– Three All-Star appearances
– 1998 All-Rookie 1st Team
– 2001 NHL 1st All-Star team
– Olympic Bronze (’06)
– New Jersey’s all-time leader in goals, points.
Elias’ point total might work against him, but statistical evidence shouldn’t keep Elias out of the Hall, according to DeBoer.
“Absolutely not. There is a reason why winning follows certain players around. It’s not an accident and it’s not situational,” DeBoer explained. “When you are around Patrik every day you see not only why he has won, but why he’s been a key part of this organization winning over the last decade.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)