Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Will Patrik Elias one day make the Hockey Hall of Fame?
According to his head coach, it’s not even a question.
“I don’t think there is any doubt he’s a Hall of Fame player,” Devils bench boss Pete DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It’s a great luxury to have him on the ice and in the dressing room. He thinks like a coach and he has a world-class player’s skills.
“When you’re building a hockey player, you can’t ask for much more than that.”
Let’s take a look at Elias’ resume:
— 1058 games played: 365G-548A-913PTS
— Two Stanley Cups (’00, ’03)
— Two Stanley Cup finals (’01, ’12)
— Three All-Star appearances
— 1998 All-Rookie 1st Team
— 2001 NHL 1st All-Star team
— Olympic Bronze (’06)
— New Jersey’s all-time leader in goals, points.
Elias’ point total might work against him, but statistical evidence shouldn’t keep Elias out of the Hall, according to DeBoer.
“Absolutely not. There is a reason why winning follows certain players around. It’s not an accident and it’s not situational,” DeBoer explained. “When you are around Patrik every day you see not only why he has won, but why he’s been a key part of this organization winning over the last decade.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)