Feb 21, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
With the Senators devastated by long-term injuries to stars Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza, attention has naturally turned to the future of captain Daniel Alfredsson. Specifically, if Ottawa isn’t in a playoff position by the April 3 trade deadline, would the 40-year-old be interested in seeking a Stanley Cup title elsewhere?
“As of now, no but never say never,” Alfredsson said this morning ahead of tonight’s home game against the Rangers, per the Ottawa Citizen’s Wayne Scanlan.
For now, Alfredsson’s focus is on trying to make the playoffs with the Sens (9-6-2). And if the postseason started today, his mission would be complete. But with two-thirds of the season to go, staying in the top eight of the Eastern Conference will be tough.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2