Feb 21, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
With the Senators devastated by long-term injuries to stars Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza, attention has naturally turned to the future of captain Daniel Alfredsson. Specifically, if Ottawa isn’t in a playoff position by the April 3 trade deadline, would the 40-year-old be interested in seeking a Stanley Cup title elsewhere?
“As of now, no but never say never,” Alfredsson said this morning ahead of tonight’s home game against the Rangers, per the Ottawa Citizen’s Wayne Scanlan.
For now, Alfredsson’s focus is on trying to make the playoffs with the Sens (9-6-2). And if the postseason started today, his mission would be complete. But with two-thirds of the season to go, staying in the top eight of the Eastern Conference will be tough.
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31