Feb 21, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
With the Senators devastated by long-term injuries to stars Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza, attention has naturally turned to the future of captain Daniel Alfredsson. Specifically, if Ottawa isn’t in a playoff position by the April 3 trade deadline, would the 40-year-old be interested in seeking a Stanley Cup title elsewhere?
“As of now, no but never say never,” Alfredsson said this morning ahead of tonight’s home game against the Rangers, per the Ottawa Citizen’s Wayne Scanlan.
For now, Alfredsson’s focus is on trying to make the playoffs with the Sens (9-6-2). And if the postseason started today, his mission would be complete. But with two-thirds of the season to go, staying in the top eight of the Eastern Conference will be tough.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 78
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32