Feb 21, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
With the Senators devastated by long-term injuries to stars Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza, attention has naturally turned to the future of captain Daniel Alfredsson. Specifically, if Ottawa isn’t in a playoff position by the April 3 trade deadline, would the 40-year-old be interested in seeking a Stanley Cup title elsewhere?
“As of now, no but never say never,” Alfredsson said this morning ahead of tonight’s home game against the Rangers, per the Ottawa Citizen’s Wayne Scanlan.
For now, Alfredsson’s focus is on trying to make the playoffs with the Sens (9-6-2). And if the postseason started today, his mission would be complete. But with two-thirds of the season to go, staying in the top eight of the Eastern Conference will be tough.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)