Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Coach John Tortorella didn’t like the Montreal Canadiens’ play in their 3-1 victory over his New York Rangers, but he will grant them this much: They sucked less.
“I thought it was probably one of the worst hockey games I’ve ever been involved in,” Tortorella said in an ESPN report. “Both teams. But they were better than we were.”
The two teams didn’t manufacture many scoring chances early on, although that’s a given when squads combine for just eight shots on goal in the first period.
Montreal focused on waiting for and attempting to capitalize on errors in the Rangers’ transitions in a strategy that Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist thought was “boring,” but “smart.”
In turn, the Rangers attempted to, in captain Ryan Callahan‘s words, “be patient with it, get pucks in deep” and avoid turnovers. The Rangers ultimately fell short of that goal early in the third period, which resulted in 19-year-old forward Alex Galchenyuk netting the game-winning goal for Montreal.
“Just two bad teams playing and we were worse than they were,” Tortorella said in summary.
The Rangers were without Rick Nash and have been secretive with regards to his status. Who knows if he’ll play on Thursday, but either way, Tortorella will certainly be looking for more from his club.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)