Feb 20, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier met with reporters on Wednesday in the wake of Lindy Ruff’s firing to announce that Ron Rolston will become the 16th head coach in franchise history.
Regier said Rolston — formerly the coach of Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester — was hired on an interim basis, but will finish out the year behind the Sabres’ bench.
Rolson, 46, coached at both the collegiate and US National Team Development Program levels prior to taking the Rochester gig in 2011.
He is the older brother of longtime NHLer Brian Rolston.
After announcing his new coach, Regier spent a large portion of the press conference discussing Ruff and the events that led to his dismissal.
According to Regier, one major event was Tuesday’s 2-1 home loss to the Winnipeg Jets.
“The prevailing factor here was where we are, where we’re going, conversations I had with Lindy, where he felt the team was,” Regier explained. “Last game, quite honestly, was a tipping point.
“[It was] quite evident to me we were searching for answers to too many questions.”
Other notes and remarks made by Regier:
– Kevin Porter will be recalled from Rochester to replace Cody McCormick, who was placed on waivers Wednesday morning.
Porter has 44 points in 48 games for the Amerks this season and 163 games of NHL experience, most of it coming with the Colorado Avalanche.
– Regier was adamant that Ruff didn’t “lose the room” and that relieving Ruff of his duties was “very difficult, extremely difficult.”
– He also added he wasn’t worried about his job security.
“No, not right now I don’t,” Regier explained. “This is not my day, this is not about me.”
May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Is that an intentional Sharks pun?
May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
He thinks it could be a valuable wake-up call.
May 20, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
At least between Dan Cleary and Bryan Bickell.
May 20, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville said they “hit the wall” after that.
May 20, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Tough night for the zebras.
May 20, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Finally some adversity for the Blackhawks.
May 20, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Peter Horachek had been with the team since 2003.
May 20, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Two goals in 31 seconds, including his beauty.
May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
That Craig Adams hit didn’t feel very good, though.
May 20, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Did anyone go over the line?
May 20, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Perhaps that hurt less than it looks.
May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
“Sooner or later something’s got to give,” he said.
May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
He has a no-trade clause.
May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Lots of stink talk coming from New York.
May 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
He hopes to be ready for the start of the 2013-14 regular season.
May 20, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.
May 20, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
But can the Rangers control the Bruins’ big forwards?
May 20, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Just to quash that rumor entirely.
May 20, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
“Don’t stick your hands where you shouldn’t.”
May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
The commissioner visited the New York Stock Exchange last week.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control