Feb 20, 2013, 5:46 PM EST
Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier met with reporters on Wednesday in the wake of Lindy Ruff’s firing to announce that Ron Rolston will become the 16th head coach in franchise history.
Regier said Rolston — formerly the coach of Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester — was hired on an interim basis, but will finish out the year behind the Sabres’ bench.
Rolson, 46, coached at both the collegiate and US National Team Development Program levels prior to taking the Rochester gig in 2011.
He is the older brother of longtime NHLer Brian Rolston.
After announcing his new coach, Regier spent a large portion of the press conference discussing Ruff and the events that led to his dismissal.
According to Regier, one major event was Tuesday’s 2-1 home loss to the Winnipeg Jets.
“The prevailing factor here was where we are, where we’re going, conversations I had with Lindy, where he felt the team was,” Regier explained. “Last game, quite honestly, was a tipping point.
“[It was] quite evident to me we were searching for answers to too many questions.”
Other notes and remarks made by Regier:
– Kevin Porter will be recalled from Rochester to replace Cody McCormick, who was placed on waivers Wednesday morning.
Porter has 44 points in 48 games for the Amerks this season and 163 games of NHL experience, most of it coming with the Colorado Avalanche.
– Regier was adamant that Ruff didn’t “lose the room” and that relieving Ruff of his duties was “very difficult, extremely difficult.”
– He also added he wasn’t worried about his job security.
“No, not right now I don’t,” Regier explained. “This is not my day, this is not about me.”
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 79
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)