Feb 20, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier met with reporters on Wednesday in the wake of Lindy Ruff’s firing to announce that Ron Rolston will become the 16th head coach in franchise history.
Regier said Rolston — formerly the coach of Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester — was hired on an interim basis, but will finish out the year behind the Sabres’ bench.
Rolson, 46, coached at both the collegiate and US National Team Development Program levels prior to taking the Rochester gig in 2011.
He is the older brother of longtime NHLer Brian Rolston.
After announcing his new coach, Regier spent a large portion of the press conference discussing Ruff and the events that led to his dismissal.
According to Regier, one major event was Tuesday’s 2-1 home loss to the Winnipeg Jets.
“The prevailing factor here was where we are, where we’re going, conversations I had with Lindy, where he felt the team was,” Regier explained. “Last game, quite honestly, was a tipping point.
“[It was] quite evident to me we were searching for answers to too many questions.”
Other notes and remarks made by Regier:
– Kevin Porter will be recalled from Rochester to replace Cody McCormick, who was placed on waivers Wednesday morning.
Porter has 44 points in 48 games for the Amerks this season and 163 games of NHL experience, most of it coming with the Colorado Avalanche.
– Regier was adamant that Ruff didn’t “lose the room” and that relieving Ruff of his duties was “very difficult, extremely difficult.”
– He also added he wasn’t worried about his job security.
“No, not right now I don’t,” Regier explained. “This is not my day, this is not about me.”
Apr 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
The defenseman last played in the first period.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Columbus has been in the NHL since the 2000-01 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
More magic from Paul Stastny?
Apr 19, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
Quite a busy 2:26 of ice time.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I have to be better.”
Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
The Blues coach mostly pleads the fifth.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
His play may wind up costing him a suspension.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh carries a 1-0 series lead into Saturday.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Things changed fast late in the third period.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
His penalty got things going in the wrong direction for Chicago.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
Memo to players: wear a cup.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
His goal is the difference in the game through two.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s been out since March 29 with a knee injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
He’s missed three games with an upper-body injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The Blackhawks look to head home with a split.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
He’s aiming to return for Game 3 on Tuesday.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
He avoided a suspension for the act.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
He’s been out since April 3.
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63