Feb 20, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier met with reporters on Wednesday in the wake of Lindy Ruff’s firing to announce that Ron Rolston will become the 16th head coach in franchise history.
Regier said Rolston — formerly the coach of Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester — was hired on an interim basis, but will finish out the year behind the Sabres’ bench.
Rolson, 46, coached at both the collegiate and US National Team Development Program levels prior to taking the Rochester gig in 2011.
He is the older brother of longtime NHLer Brian Rolston.
After announcing his new coach, Regier spent a large portion of the press conference discussing Ruff and the events that led to his dismissal.
According to Regier, one major event was Tuesday’s 2-1 home loss to the Winnipeg Jets.
“The prevailing factor here was where we are, where we’re going, conversations I had with Lindy, where he felt the team was,” Regier explained. “Last game, quite honestly, was a tipping point.
“[It was] quite evident to me we were searching for answers to too many questions.”
Other notes and remarks made by Regier:
– Kevin Porter will be recalled from Rochester to replace Cody McCormick, who was placed on waivers Wednesday morning.
Porter has 44 points in 48 games for the Amerks this season and 163 games of NHL experience, most of it coming with the Colorado Avalanche.
– Regier was adamant that Ruff didn’t “lose the room” and that relieving Ruff of his duties was “very difficult, extremely difficult.”
– He also added he wasn’t worried about his job security.
“No, not right now I don’t,” Regier explained. “This is not my day, this is not about me.”
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 0
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 0
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 19
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 45