Feb 20, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Philadelphia Flyers will head to the Consol Energy Center for a match against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Few rivalries have been more intense than that of the Penguins and Flyers in recent years.
The two teams have met in the playoffs three times in the previous five years and their most recent series in 2012 had just about everything – except maybe goaltending. They scored a combined 56 goals in just six games.
That’s not hard to believe when you look at the elite forwards on either squad. This season though, only one of the two teams have lived up to expectations.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have gotten off to an 11-5-0 start thanks in no small part to the continued success that forwards Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal have enjoyed. However, they’ve also gotten a couple pleasant surprises, like Chris Kunitz recording 14 points in his last nine games.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Flyers have had surprises too, but not all of them good.
Part of Philadelphia’s struggles can be blamed on injuries, but, as captain Claude Giroux put it, there have been plenty of times when the Flyers have just gone through the motions.
Their shaky start has led to questions about GM Paul Holmgren or head coach Peter Laviolette’s job security. That prompted team president Peter Lukko to stand up for the GM and coach while also preaching a message of patience.
A mere day later, the Philadelphia Flyers responded to that vote of confidence with a crushing 7-0 victory over the New York Islanders.
Of course, that was just one game and it was against a team that’s not typically held in high regard. Crosby and the Penguins will be a much tougher test, but you can count the Flyers putting everything they have into this contest.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Top scorers: PIT – Crosby (7-17-24, 16 GP) | PHI – Jakub Voracek (3-12-15, 17 GP)
Pittsburgh – Forwards: None
Philadelphia – Forwards: Jody Shelley (hip), Scott Hartnell (foot) Defensemen: Andrej Meszaros (shoulder), Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Chris Pronger (concussion) Goaltenders: Michael Leighton (finger)
Apr 16, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
22-26-7 with a .901 save percentage.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Top seeds don’t have it easy in the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Steve Mason is “out.”
Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Short answer: Plenty.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)