Feb 20, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Colorado Avalanche host the St. Louis Blues at the Pepsi Center at 10:00 p.m. ET.
The biggest stories for the Colorado Avalanche this season have been the messy situation with restricted free agent Ryan O’Reilly that will probably end in a trade and captain Gabriel Landeskog‘s efforts to return from a concussion.
If they want more people to associate them with something more positive, then the best way to do that would be to get on a winning streak.
The Avalanche are near the bottom of the pack this season with a 6-7-1 record. Part of that is due to injuries, but they’ve also forced goaltender Semyon Varlamov to face a staggering 93 shots over their last two contests and he has responded by surrendering 10 goals over that span.
They still managed to eek out a win against Nashville on Monday, although they got a break when Matt Duchene scored a critical goal following a blown offside call. A win’s still a win, but the big question is if they can build off of that momentum.
The visiting Blues are bound to be exhausted after playing in Vancouver on Sunday and at home on Tuesday, but they’ll also be hungry coming off of a 2-1 loss against the San Jose Sharks. On top of that, this will likely be goaltender Jaroslav Halak‘s first start since suffering a groin injury.
Halak’s been one of the top netminders in the league in recent years and might prove to be the kryptonite for an Avalanche offense that’s started to click recently. That would just invite more talk about who the Avalanche don’t have playing for them right now. We’ll see if they can force a different headline.
Probable goaltenders: STL – Halak (3-0-0, 2.10 GAA, .889 SV%) | COL – Varlamov (4-7-1, 3.00 GAA, .905 SV%)
Top scorers: STL – Alexander Steen (4-11-15, 16 GP) | COL – Duchene (6-11-17, 14 GP)
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)