Feb 20, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Colorado Avalanche host the St. Louis Blues at the Pepsi Center at 10:00 p.m. ET.
The biggest stories for the Colorado Avalanche this season have been the messy situation with restricted free agent Ryan O’Reilly that will probably end in a trade and captain Gabriel Landeskog‘s efforts to return from a concussion.
If they want more people to associate them with something more positive, then the best way to do that would be to get on a winning streak.
The Avalanche are near the bottom of the pack this season with a 6-7-1 record. Part of that is due to injuries, but they’ve also forced goaltender Semyon Varlamov to face a staggering 93 shots over their last two contests and he has responded by surrendering 10 goals over that span.
They still managed to eek out a win against Nashville on Monday, although they got a break when Matt Duchene scored a critical goal following a blown offside call. A win’s still a win, but the big question is if they can build off of that momentum.
The visiting Blues are bound to be exhausted after playing in Vancouver on Sunday and at home on Tuesday, but they’ll also be hungry coming off of a 2-1 loss against the San Jose Sharks. On top of that, this will likely be goaltender Jaroslav Halak‘s first start since suffering a groin injury.
Halak’s been one of the top netminders in the league in recent years and might prove to be the kryptonite for an Avalanche offense that’s started to click recently. That would just invite more talk about who the Avalanche don’t have playing for them right now. We’ll see if they can force a different headline.
Probable goaltenders: STL – Halak (3-0-0, 2.10 GAA, .889 SV%) | COL – Varlamov (4-7-1, 3.00 GAA, .905 SV%)
Top scorers: STL – Alexander Steen (4-11-15, 16 GP) | COL – Duchene (6-11-17, 14 GP)
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)