Feb 20, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Colorado Avalanche host the St. Louis Blues at the Pepsi Center at 10:00 p.m. ET.
The biggest stories for the Colorado Avalanche this season have been the messy situation with restricted free agent Ryan O’Reilly that will probably end in a trade and captain Gabriel Landeskog‘s efforts to return from a concussion.
If they want more people to associate them with something more positive, then the best way to do that would be to get on a winning streak.
The Avalanche are near the bottom of the pack this season with a 6-7-1 record. Part of that is due to injuries, but they’ve also forced goaltender Semyon Varlamov to face a staggering 93 shots over their last two contests and he has responded by surrendering 10 goals over that span.
They still managed to eek out a win against Nashville on Monday, although they got a break when Matt Duchene scored a critical goal following a blown offside call. A win’s still a win, but the big question is if they can build off of that momentum.
The visiting Blues are bound to be exhausted after playing in Vancouver on Sunday and at home on Tuesday, but they’ll also be hungry coming off of a 2-1 loss against the San Jose Sharks. On top of that, this will likely be goaltender Jaroslav Halak‘s first start since suffering a groin injury.
Halak’s been one of the top netminders in the league in recent years and might prove to be the kryptonite for an Avalanche offense that’s started to click recently. That would just invite more talk about who the Avalanche don’t have playing for them right now. We’ll see if they can force a different headline.
Probable goaltenders: STL – Halak (3-0-0, 2.10 GAA, .889 SV%) | COL – Varlamov (4-7-1, 3.00 GAA, .905 SV%)
Top scorers: STL – Alexander Steen (4-11-15, 16 GP) | COL – Duchene (6-11-17, 14 GP)
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- (Report) Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (96)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)