Feb 20, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward Rick Nash is primed to miss his second straight contest with an undisclosed injury, as he won’t travel to Ottawa for Thursday’s game against the Senators, ESPN’s Katie Strang reports.
Strang does note, however, that Nash could still re-join the team in Montreal (the Rangers play the Habs on Saturday at the Bell Centre.)
The big winger missed Tuesday night’s contest against the Canadiens — a 3-1 Rangers loss — the first time he’s been held out of a game since joining the Rangers via trade last summer.
Playing coy with Nash’s health has been a theme over the last few days. On the weekend, he missed a Saturday practice, something that Tortorella chalked up to a “body maintenance day.”
Nash was then listed as questionable for Sunday’s 2-1 win over Washington, but participated in the warmup and proceeded to play a whopping 22:33, recording one assist and a game-high eight shots on goal.
Prior to the Caps game, Rangers head coach John Tortorella was pressed on exactly what Nash’s injury was.
“None of your business,” he told Strang.
More, from Brooks:
The Rangers aren’t saying anything about the condition of Nash, who played two days after taking the unpenalized hit and then again three days after that despite a couple of days that we know of, when he wasn’t feeling well.
No one is saying whether No. 61 is suffering post-concussion symptoms. Perhaps more to the point, no one is saying he isn’t.
In 14 games this year Nash has 3G-9A-12PTS while averaging 21:24 of ice time.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)