Feb 20, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Some tough news out of Carolina on Wednesday as the Hurricanes announced Jeff Skinner would be sidelined for an undetermined length of time with a concussion.
Skinner, 20, was hurt during last Thursday’s 3-1 win over Toronto. According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Skinner took a couple of hard hits against the Leafs and also went headfirst into the boards, though he reportedly felt fine after the game, even practicing on Friday.
Over the weekend, however, things got worse — Carolina’s second-leading scorer didn’t practice on Sunday or travel to Montreal for Monday’s game against the Canadiens (a 3-0 loss).
He subsequently missed the last two days of practice.
This latest development is going to cause a lot of concern within the Carolina organization, as Skinner missed 16 games last season because of a concussion.
The 2011 Calder Trophy winner also signed a six-year, $34 million contract extension with the ‘Canes last August, a deal that will keep him in Carolina until 2019.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)