Feb 20, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Some tough news out of Carolina on Wednesday as the Hurricanes announced Jeff Skinner would be sidelined for an undetermined length of time with a concussion.
Skinner, 20, was hurt during last Thursday’s 3-1 win over Toronto. According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Skinner took a couple of hard hits against the Leafs and also went headfirst into the boards, though he reportedly felt fine after the game, even practicing on Friday.
Over the weekend, however, things got worse — Carolina’s second-leading scorer didn’t practice on Sunday or travel to Montreal for Monday’s game against the Canadiens (a 3-0 loss).
He subsequently missed the last two days of practice.
This latest development is going to cause a lot of concern within the Carolina organization, as Skinner missed 16 games last season because of a concussion.
The 2011 Calder Trophy winner also signed a six-year, $34 million contract extension with the ‘Canes last August, a deal that will keep him in Carolina until 2019.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (79)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)