Feb 20, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Some tough news out of Carolina on Wednesday as the Hurricanes announced Jeff Skinner would be sidelined for an undetermined length of time with a concussion.
Skinner, 20, was hurt during last Thursday’s 3-1 win over Toronto. According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Skinner took a couple of hard hits against the Leafs and also went headfirst into the boards, though he reportedly felt fine after the game, even practicing on Friday.
Over the weekend, however, things got worse — Carolina’s second-leading scorer didn’t practice on Sunday or travel to Montreal for Monday’s game against the Canadiens (a 3-0 loss).
He subsequently missed the last two days of practice.
This latest development is going to cause a lot of concern within the Carolina organization, as Skinner missed 16 games last season because of a concussion.
The 2011 Calder Trophy winner also signed a six-year, $34 million contract extension with the ‘Canes last August, a deal that will keep him in Carolina until 2019.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)