Feb 20, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Some tough news out of Carolina on Wednesday as the Hurricanes announced Jeff Skinner would be sidelined for an undetermined length of time with a concussion.
Skinner, 20, was hurt during last Thursday’s 3-1 win over Toronto. According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Skinner took a couple of hard hits against the Leafs and also went headfirst into the boards, though he reportedly felt fine after the game, even practicing on Friday.
Over the weekend, however, things got worse — Carolina’s second-leading scorer didn’t practice on Sunday or travel to Montreal for Monday’s game against the Canadiens (a 3-0 loss).
He subsequently missed the last two days of practice.
This latest development is going to cause a lot of concern within the Carolina organization, as Skinner missed 16 games last season because of a concussion.
The 2011 Calder Trophy winner also signed a six-year, $34 million contract extension with the ‘Canes last August, a deal that will keep him in Carolina until 2019.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 0
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 25
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 57
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (57)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)