Feb 20, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s play through the first month of the NHL regular season has come under harsh but fair criticism.
His numbers – goals, assists and points – are far below the individual pace he set for himself during his early years. Five goals, five assists for 10 points in 15 games is a far cry from his more than a point-per-game output from even two years ago.
He’s also a minus-six, and the Capitals are at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings with a 5-9-1 record.
The move from the left side to the right seems to be one of the causes for his inconsistent offensive output.
But he appears to have the backing of his teammates.
“That’s really important, to get back to what everybody first knew him for, being able to shoot the puck,” Capitals teammate Karl Alzner told CSN Washington.
“He’s getting back to that and the more confidence he gets on that side the more you’re going to see him try to weave in and out.”
But it appears this is more than just a small, inconvenient slump or poor start.
The phrase ‘washed up’ has already been brought up, and Ovechkin is only 27 years old.
There are, of course, those who don’t believe that to be the case.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)