Feb 20, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s play through the first month of the NHL regular season has come under harsh but fair criticism.
His numbers – goals, assists and points – are far below the individual pace he set for himself during his early years. Five goals, five assists for 10 points in 15 games is a far cry from his more than a point-per-game output from even two years ago.
He’s also a minus-six, and the Capitals are at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings with a 5-9-1 record.
The move from the left side to the right seems to be one of the causes for his inconsistent offensive output.
But he appears to have the backing of his teammates.
“That’s really important, to get back to what everybody first knew him for, being able to shoot the puck,” Capitals teammate Karl Alzner told CSN Washington.
“He’s getting back to that and the more confidence he gets on that side the more you’re going to see him try to weave in and out.”
But it appears this is more than just a small, inconvenient slump or poor start.
The phrase ‘washed up’ has already been brought up, and Ovechkin is only 27 years old.
There are, of course, those who don’t believe that to be the case.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)