Feb 20, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s play through the first month of the NHL regular season has come under harsh but fair criticism.
His numbers – goals, assists and points – are far below the individual pace he set for himself during his early years. Five goals, five assists for 10 points in 15 games is a far cry from his more than a point-per-game output from even two years ago.
He’s also a minus-six, and the Capitals are at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings with a 5-9-1 record.
The move from the left side to the right seems to be one of the causes for his inconsistent offensive output.
But he appears to have the backing of his teammates.
“That’s really important, to get back to what everybody first knew him for, being able to shoot the puck,” Capitals teammate Karl Alzner told CSN Washington.
“He’s getting back to that and the more confidence he gets on that side the more you’re going to see him try to weave in and out.”
But it appears this is more than just a small, inconvenient slump or poor start.
The phrase ‘washed up’ has already been brought up, and Ovechkin is only 27 years old.
There are, of course, those who don’t believe that to be the case.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)