Feb 20, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Here’s the video explanation from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan:
Based on his average annual salary, Hansen will forfeit $7,297.30 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
As mentioned in the video, this is Hansen’s first time dealing with supplemental discipline from the league. He’s never been fined nor suspended during his six-year NHL career, which played a factor in Shanahan’s decision.
That said, the suspension will still likely draw the ire of Canucks management.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault was reportedly upset after participating in the conference call with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“I don’t even know why we had the call,” Vigneault told the Vancouver Sun.
When asked if he expressed to Shanahan he felt the hearing was unnecessary, Vigneault replied “very clearly, very clearly.”
As for Hossa’s health, the ‘Hawks were tight-lipped on Wednesday. The only semblance of an update was from head coach Joel Quenneville, who said Hossa “seemed OK” following the game.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)