Feb 20, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Here’s the video explanation from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan:
Based on his average annual salary, Hansen will forfeit $7,297.30 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
As mentioned in the video, this is Hansen’s first time dealing with supplemental discipline from the league. He’s never been fined nor suspended during his six-year NHL career, which played a factor in Shanahan’s decision.
That said, the suspension will still likely draw the ire of Canucks management.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault was reportedly upset after participating in the conference call with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“I don’t even know why we had the call,” Vigneault told the Vancouver Sun.
When asked if he expressed to Shanahan he felt the hearing was unnecessary, Vigneault replied “very clearly, very clearly.”
As for Hossa’s health, the ‘Hawks were tight-lipped on Wednesday. The only semblance of an update was from head coach Joel Quenneville, who said Hossa “seemed OK” following the game.
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 3
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 37
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)