Feb 20, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Here’s the video explanation from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan:
Based on his average annual salary, Hansen will forfeit $7,297.30 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
As mentioned in the video, this is Hansen’s first time dealing with supplemental discipline from the league. He’s never been fined nor suspended during his six-year NHL career, which played a factor in Shanahan’s decision.
That said, the suspension will still likely draw the ire of Canucks management.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault was reportedly upset after participating in the conference call with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“I don’t even know why we had the call,” Vigneault told the Vancouver Sun.
When asked if he expressed to Shanahan he felt the hearing was unnecessary, Vigneault replied “very clearly, very clearly.”
As for Hossa’s health, the ‘Hawks were tight-lipped on Wednesday. The only semblance of an update was from head coach Joel Quenneville, who said Hossa “seemed OK” following the game.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)