Feb 20, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Here’s the video explanation from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan:
Based on his average annual salary, Hansen will forfeit $7,297.30 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
As mentioned in the video, this is Hansen’s first time dealing with supplemental discipline from the league. He’s never been fined nor suspended during his six-year NHL career, which played a factor in Shanahan’s decision.
That said, the suspension will still likely draw the ire of Canucks management.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault was reportedly upset after participating in the conference call with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“I don’t even know why we had the call,” Vigneault told the Vancouver Sun.
When asked if he expressed to Shanahan he felt the hearing was unnecessary, Vigneault replied “very clearly, very clearly.”
As for Hossa’s health, the ‘Hawks were tight-lipped on Wednesday. The only semblance of an update was from head coach Joel Quenneville, who said Hossa “seemed OK” following the game.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)