Feb 20, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
With a rash of injuries on defense, the Carolina Hurricanes have reportedly recalled the 12th overall pick from 2011, Ryan Murphy, from his junior team in Ontario.
Kitchener Rangers head coach/GM Steve Spott confirmed the move.
Carolina recently placed defensemen Tim Gleason and Joni Pitkanen on injured reserve and are currently rolling with a blueline comprised of Jay Harrison, Justin Faulk, Jamie McBain, Joe Corvo, Michal Jordan and Bobby Sanguinetti.
So, no better time than to give Murphy a ring.
The 19-year-old was one of the most highly-touted prospects in the coveted defensive class of ’11. Other blueline draftees form that year include New Jersey’s Adam Larsson, Boston’s Dougie Hamilton, Minnesota’s Jonas Brodin and Dallas’ Jamie Oleksiak.
The Kitchener standout actually made the ‘Canes out of his first NHL training camp in 2011, but failed to appear in a game before Carolina re-assigned him to the OHL.
From there, Murphy suffered a serious concussion while playing for the Rangers, but recovered sufficiently enough to be named Kitchener’s captain in September.
He was later named to Team Canada for the 2013 World Junior tournament.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (56)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)