Feb 19, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
Edmonton Oilers forward Nail Yakupov made waves on Jan. 24 over the celebration that followed his game-tying goal. He netted it with just 4.7 seconds left in regulation time in the Edmonton Oilers eventual 2-1 overtime victory against the Los Angeles Kings.
Don Cherry thought the 19-year-old rookie “acted like an idiot” and asserted that the Kings “are going to remember this to the dying day.” Meanwhile, Kings forward Jarret Stoll said that the celebration wasn’t viewed “in a positive light in our dressing room.”
So should Yakupov expect some kind of retribution from the Los Angeles Kings when the squads meet again tonight?
“They are not 12-year-olds,” Yakupov said in response, according to the Edmonton Sun. “They are men. They have families.”
Yakupov doesn’t think he did anything wrong in the first place and Oilers coach Ralph Krueger seems to agree.
“I don’t think there was anything except youthful exuberance,” Krueger said.
“He’s just a passionate kid who loves being here and there was nothing dishonest in that. I couldn’t imagine that a team with the level of L.A. Kings would take that any different.”
Either way, we’ll see if Yakupov can manage another dramatic goal. He got off to a hot start, but he’s suffering through a bit of a cold streak now. The Russian forward hasn’t scored a goal since Feb. 2 and he has just one assist in his last four games.
You can see Yakupov’s celebration below:
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46