Yakupov: No way Kings retaliate over controversial celebration

Feb 19, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT

Devan Dubnyk, Dustin Brown AP

Edmonton Oilers forward Nail Yakupov made waves on Jan. 24 over the celebration that followed his game-tying goal. He netted it with just 4.7 seconds left in regulation time in the Edmonton Oilers eventual 2-1 overtime victory against the Los Angeles Kings.

Don Cherry thought the 19-year-old rookie “acted like an idiot” and asserted that the Kings “are going to remember this to the dying day.” Meanwhile, Kings forward Jarret Stoll said that the celebration wasn’t viewed “in a positive light in our dressing room.”

So should Yakupov expect some kind of retribution from the Los Angeles Kings when the squads meet again tonight?

“They are not 12-year-olds,” Yakupov said in response, according to the Edmonton Sun. “They are men. They have families.”

Yakupov doesn’t think he did anything wrong in the first place and Oilers coach Ralph Krueger seems to agree.

“I don’t think there was anything except youthful exuberance,” Krueger said.

“He’s just a passionate kid who loves being here and there was nothing dishonest in that. I couldn’t imagine that a team with the level of L.A. Kings would take that any different.”

Either way, we’ll see if Yakupov can manage another dramatic goal. He got off to a hot start, but he’s suffering through a bit of a cold streak now. The Russian forward hasn’t scored a goal since Feb. 2 and he has just one assist in his last four games.

You can see Yakupov’s celebration below:

Related:

Video: Did Yakupov’s celebration go too far?

Video: Derek Morris doesn’t take kindly to Nail Yakupov’s OT-winner

1. dt58 - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I bet what’s not sitting well in the dressing room is the craptastic season they’re having. Should be worrying about winning games and actually making playoffs

2. mattybo - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I’m indifferent on both teams but i’d hope they wouldnt retaliate. The kid got excited over a good goal and let his emotions fly, who cares? Don’t want him celebrating like that? Stop him next time and that will be the only retaliation you need.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Donald the clown forgets that he celebrated the very same way every time he scored a goal in the NHL.

3. biasedhomer - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Funny, he says the are not 12, yet he celebrated like a child after a regular season goal.

• lovinthatsomanyhateonnd - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

id say the ones acting like little children are the ones upset at that…really? Would any LA fans like me to upload a video of Brown doing worse? Kings are acting like spoiled brats, and so are their fans….as usual

• mattybo - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

A year and a half ago he couldn’t buy cigarettes…get off his nuts and stop whining about a 19 year old who got carried away.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

well played, mattybo…well played…

• pajabroni - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

in the US/Canada maybe, but I always imagined Russians smoking and drinking vodka around their 10th birthday.

• biasedhomer - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I’m not upset at this, Just pointing out a hypocrite.

• biasedhomer - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

And I love the “Or don’t, either way he will still be playing a professional sport while you gripe at a keyboard.”

Are fans not allowed to have opinions? Let’s just all agree on every single issue in the world. What an interesting place to live in.
        Are you trying to say something about yourself? I am perfectly happy with my life. Would it have been awesome to be playing in the NHL, absolutely, but not every childhood dream comes true. Dreams evolve as you grow, and I am happy with the path my life is taking.

4. jpdoc26 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

That’s how I celebrate when my mom comes home from the grocery store with Lucky Charms.

• jeremyroenickdanceparty - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

you win.

5. scionofflame - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Still think Yakupov did nothing wrong. He’s excited to play in the NHL, and he let it show when he made a particularly narrow victory for himself and his new teammates. Good on him.

Kings won’t retaliate, and if they do should be ashamed. Your retaliation is to win, not take the kid out.

6. puckhead99 - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Being a Kings fan I have no problem with his celebration. The kid scored a game winning goal, he should be excited. The NHL needs more of these types of celebrations anyway. Mind you, I wouldn’t feel bad if Brown or Clifford knocked him on his butt with a clean, hard check. But to go out of their way to retaliate, or even have this on their minds, would be totally classless.

7. kingsforever - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

3:2 odds that Mike Richards goes after him. No respect from the Oilers. No benefit of the doubt given by the Kings.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches