Feb 19, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are enduring some poor injury luck this season, with workhorse goalie Jimmy Howard being the latest victim.
Howard suffered an upper-body injury during Tuesday’s game against the Nashville Predators and won’t return, according to the team.
Losing their 28-year-old goalie hurts, especially if this ends up being serious. Howard’s numbers have been up and down, yet he’s played in 14 of the Red Wings’ 16 games this season, so it’s obvious he’s needed.
That’s not the only problem that cropped up on Tuesday, either.
- Fragile winger Mikael Samuelsson missed the game after taking a shot off the hand during the morning skate, Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall left the contest briefly after being boarded, yet he did return.
- Depth forward Cory Emmerton needed help off the ice, too. (No update on his status yet.)
- The team came in with plenty of injuries in the first place, including issues for Todd Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen and Darren Helm.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)