Feb 19, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are enduring some poor injury luck this season, with workhorse goalie Jimmy Howard being the latest victim.
Howard suffered an upper-body injury during Tuesday’s game against the Nashville Predators and won’t return, according to the team.
Losing their 28-year-old goalie hurts, especially if this ends up being serious. Howard’s numbers have been up and down, yet he’s played in 14 of the Red Wings’ 16 games this season, so it’s obvious he’s needed.
That’s not the only problem that cropped up on Tuesday, either.
- Fragile winger Mikael Samuelsson missed the game after taking a shot off the hand during the morning skate, Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall left the contest briefly after being boarded, yet he did return.
- Depth forward Cory Emmerton needed help off the ice, too. (No update on his status yet.)
- The team came in with plenty of injuries in the first place, including issues for Todd Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen and Darren Helm.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)