Feb 19, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are enduring some poor injury luck this season, with workhorse goalie Jimmy Howard being the latest victim.
Howard suffered an upper-body injury during Tuesday’s game against the Nashville Predators and won’t return, according to the team.
Losing their 28-year-old goalie hurts, especially if this ends up being serious. Howard’s numbers have been up and down, yet he’s played in 14 of the Red Wings’ 16 games this season, so it’s obvious he’s needed.
That’s not the only problem that cropped up on Tuesday, either.
- Fragile winger Mikael Samuelsson missed the game after taking a shot off the hand during the morning skate, Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall left the contest briefly after being boarded, yet he did return.
- Depth forward Cory Emmerton needed help off the ice, too. (No update on his status yet.)
- The team came in with plenty of injuries in the first place, including issues for Todd Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen and Darren Helm.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)