Feb 19, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are enduring some poor injury luck this season, with workhorse goalie Jimmy Howard being the latest victim.
Howard suffered an upper-body injury during Tuesday’s game against the Nashville Predators and won’t return, according to the team.
Losing their 28-year-old goalie hurts, especially if this ends up being serious. Howard’s numbers have been up and down, yet he’s played in 14 of the Red Wings’ 16 games this season, so it’s obvious he’s needed.
That’s not the only problem that cropped up on Tuesday, either.
- Fragile winger Mikael Samuelsson missed the game after taking a shot off the hand during the morning skate, Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall left the contest briefly after being boarded, yet he did return.
- Depth forward Cory Emmerton needed help off the ice, too. (No update on his status yet.)
- The team came in with plenty of injuries in the first place, including issues for Todd Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen and Darren Helm.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 87
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 40
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 72
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62