Feb 19, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are enduring some poor injury luck this season, with workhorse goalie Jimmy Howard being the latest victim.
Howard suffered an upper-body injury during Tuesday’s game against the Nashville Predators and won’t return, according to the team.
Losing their 28-year-old goalie hurts, especially if this ends up being serious. Howard’s numbers have been up and down, yet he’s played in 14 of the Red Wings’ 16 games this season, so it’s obvious he’s needed.
That’s not the only problem that cropped up on Tuesday, either.
- Fragile winger Mikael Samuelsson missed the game after taking a shot off the hand during the morning skate, Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall left the contest briefly after being boarded, yet he did return.
- Depth forward Cory Emmerton needed help off the ice, too. (No update on his status yet.)
- The team came in with plenty of injuries in the first place, including issues for Todd Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen and Darren Helm.
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 16
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7