Feb 19, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Sunday night in Vancouver, the St. Louis Blues capped off a perfect three-game road trip with a 4-3 shootout win over the Canucks.
For Ken Hitchcock’s triumphant troops, all that was left to do was get home.
Sounds easy, right?
Well, it wasn’t.
Per the Post-Dispatch, the Blues finally made it back to St. Louis early this morning…14 hours after they were supposed to get back.
The club typically flies home after road games, but in the case of Vancouver, a four-hour flight, Blues officials, based on sleep studies, prefer players get a regular night of rest and then travel the next day.
After spending Sunday night in Vancouver, the Blues were scheduled to fly out of Vancouver at 10 a.m. (Pacific time) Monday and arrive in St. Louis at 4 p.m. (Central time). But when the players arrived at the gate, they were notified by their charter company that the plane needed a part and it would take about eight hours for the part to arrive.
The Blues were told that a backup plane would be sent in case the part did not work, but that ended up not to be the case. When it was discovered that the part was not going to fix the problem, then a plane was ordered to Vancouver.
In the meantime, Blues players were transported to a nearby hotel to wait out the delay. Finally, just after midnight Pacific time, the coaches and players boarded the aircraft bound for St. Louis. The sun was beaming at Lambert Field at 6:30 a.m., as the squinty-eyed, sleepy Blues exited the plane.
And to top it off, the team bus from the airport had to sit in rush-hour traffic.
The Blues host San Jose tonight at Scottrade Center.
And then it’s off to Denver!
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)