Feb 19, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Sunday night in Vancouver, the St. Louis Blues capped off a perfect three-game road trip with a 4-3 shootout win over the Canucks.
For Ken Hitchcock’s triumphant troops, all that was left to do was get home.
Sounds easy, right?
Well, it wasn’t.
Per the Post-Dispatch, the Blues finally made it back to St. Louis early this morning…14 hours after they were supposed to get back.
The club typically flies home after road games, but in the case of Vancouver, a four-hour flight, Blues officials, based on sleep studies, prefer players get a regular night of rest and then travel the next day.
After spending Sunday night in Vancouver, the Blues were scheduled to fly out of Vancouver at 10 a.m. (Pacific time) Monday and arrive in St. Louis at 4 p.m. (Central time). But when the players arrived at the gate, they were notified by their charter company that the plane needed a part and it would take about eight hours for the part to arrive.
The Blues were told that a backup plane would be sent in case the part did not work, but that ended up not to be the case. When it was discovered that the part was not going to fix the problem, then a plane was ordered to Vancouver.
In the meantime, Blues players were transported to a nearby hotel to wait out the delay. Finally, just after midnight Pacific time, the coaches and players boarded the aircraft bound for St. Louis. The sun was beaming at Lambert Field at 6:30 a.m., as the squinty-eyed, sleepy Blues exited the plane.
And to top it off, the team bus from the airport had to sit in rush-hour traffic.
The Blues host San Jose tonight at Scottrade Center.
And then it’s off to Denver!
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 5
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)