Feb 19, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
After a poor outing in Sunday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, defenseman Jordan Leopold has been dropped from the Sabres lineup for Tuesday’s game against Winnipeg.
“I just haven’t got off to a good start,” Leopold told the Buffalo News. “I’m trying to keep the confidence up, trying to get into plays, trying to make things. It’s the little things, not big things that have been getting me a little bit.
“It’s not the first time I’ve sat and watched a game. You learn from it. It creates a fire underneath you and urgency to get better.”
According to the News, it’s the first time Leopold’s been a healthy scratch in his three years with Buffalo.
The 32-year-old rearguard’s had an erratic start to his season, recording just 1G-3A-4PTS in 16 games while posting a minus-7 rating.
He was blasted for some poor defensive zone coverage on this Pascal Dupuis goal during Sunday’s loss:
“That’s an easy read for me,” Leopold explained. “Having that one sneak by, there’s nobody to fault but myself. You look at it and learn from it. Lindy’s got to make his choices with lineup. We got 8 D here. Sometimes you find yourself out.
Ruff didn’t have much to say in explaining the decision to drop Leopold from the lineup.
“I expect more out of him. I expect more out of a veteran defenseman. He’s going to have to work hard to get back in,” the Sabres head coach said.
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
May 19, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
A pair of young players led the way.
May 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Their youthful trio will play once again.
May 19, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch in Games 1 and 2.
May 19, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
He could face league discipline.
May 19, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
He played just 15:37 in Game 2.
May 19, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
The playoffs haven’t been kind.
May 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A pivotal Game 3 awaits in Ottawa.
May 19, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Veteran d-man kept it mellow.
May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
“He screws it up.”
May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Trevor Lewis doesn’t think it was a penalty.
May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Logan Couture goes from injured to game-winner.
May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
His Halifax Mooseheads topped Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks.
May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
May 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
At least Scott Hannan’s OK?
May 18, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
These moments hurt in games with small margins of error.
May 18, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
After falling to it in Game 2.
May 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Matt Greene isn’t playing in Game 3, either.
May 18, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg likely out, Wade Redden’s a game-time decision.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 60
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)