Feb 19, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
After a poor outing in Sunday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, defenseman Jordan Leopold has been dropped from the Sabres lineup for Tuesday’s game against Winnipeg.
“I just haven’t got off to a good start,” Leopold told the Buffalo News. “I’m trying to keep the confidence up, trying to get into plays, trying to make things. It’s the little things, not big things that have been getting me a little bit.
“It’s not the first time I’ve sat and watched a game. You learn from it. It creates a fire underneath you and urgency to get better.”
According to the News, it’s the first time Leopold’s been a healthy scratch in his three years with Buffalo.
The 32-year-old rearguard’s had an erratic start to his season, recording just 1G-3A-4PTS in 16 games while posting a minus-7 rating.
He was blasted for some poor defensive zone coverage on this Pascal Dupuis goal during Sunday’s loss:
“That’s an easy read for me,” Leopold explained. “Having that one sneak by, there’s nobody to fault but myself. You look at it and learn from it. Lindy’s got to make his choices with lineup. We got 8 D here. Sometimes you find yourself out.
Ruff didn’t have much to say in explaining the decision to drop Leopold from the lineup.
“I expect more out of him. I expect more out of a veteran defenseman. He’s going to have to work hard to get back in,” the Sabres head coach said.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)