Feb 19, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
In the wake of Matt Duchene’s egregious offside goal from Colorado’s 6-5 win over Nashville on Monday, the discussion of implementing coach’s challenges in the NHL has fired up again.
Not surprisingly, the goalie victimized on Duchene’s tally says hockey could use them.
“I think it would be a great element to have in this game,” Nashville netminder Chris Mason told Sportnet. “We have the video as they do in football. The reality is that people make mistakes. There’s nothing wrong with that, but if you have the ability to challenge it and use your timeout as leverage or something like that, I don’t see why you wouldn’t [have challenges].
“I’ve said it before, I definitely think it should be in the game of hockey.”
Of the four major professional sports in North America, only the NFL has implemented coach’s challenges.
But that doesn’t mean others have stayed stagnant when it comes to video replay.
In 2008, Major League Baseball implemented instant replay for fair/foul balls, whether the ball actually left the playing field and balls subjected to spectator interference. In 2014, it’s expected that MLB will expand its replay system.
In 2012, the NBA decided to further expand on its instant replay practices — adding three additional uses — building on rules originally put in place for the 2002-03 season (the league also made some additional rules regarding replay in 2010.)
Mason thinks adding some sort of replay/challenge system would allow for the correction of egregious missed calls, like the one on Monday.
“I can accept mistakes, but it’s tough when it’s that blatant,” he explained. “It’s not like it was a close call or could’ve gone either way.
“He was like eight feet offsides.”
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
He’s expected to play against Ottawa this afternoon.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
The holiday roster freeze will keep him with Washington for at least one more week.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Right when he was starting to rebound…
Dec 21, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
His return isn’t imminent, but he’s making progress.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
It’s believed that he was hurt on Thursday.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
It’s a two-year deal.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
He leads American-born goaltenders in GAA and save percentage.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
They’ll preview the Winter Classic tonight.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins also raised the issue with the officials.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
The latest round in one of the league’s great rivalries.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Winnipeg beat Florida 5-2.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
The Rangers lost to the Islanders 5-3 on Friday.
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 1
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 17
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 10
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)