Feb 19, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
The surging Phoenix Coyotes will likely get a bump this weekend as forward Matthew Lombardi is slated to return to action.
Lombardi, 30, has been shelved since Jan. 24 after suffering a shoulder injury against the Sharks. He proceeded to miss the next 12 games, which was actually a pleasant development for the veteran winger, considering surgery was an option — an option that would’ve sidelined for up to six weeks.
Instead, Lombardi opted to rehab the shoulder, and began skating a week and a half after the injury.
“Each day things got better,” Lombardi told the Arizona Republic. “I can’t say enough about how the training staff has been really good with me and pushing me through it. Things have gone good so far, so (I) hope for the best.”
The Coyotes beat the Flames 4-0 on Monday night and are now in the midst of a rarity during the condensed 48-game regular season — nearly a full week off.
They don’t play against until Saturday in Edmonton, which is when Lombardi should get back in the lineup.
Where he fits, though, remains to be seen.
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett moved the speedy center up and down the lineup during the first four games of the season, including on a line with last year’s leading goalscorer, Radim Vrbata, and playoff scoring hero Mikkel Boedker.
“He’s a pretty driven guy right now,” Tippett said of Lombardi. “He’s just got to get out there and get himself feeling comfortable in the role he’s in. For him, it’s all just about playing right now.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)