Feb 19, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers rank dead last in a number of key statistical categories this season: goals allowed per game (3.73), goal differential (minus-21) and overtime/shoot-out losses (four).
Those facts alone are depressing — but wait, there’s more!
According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, the Panthers racked up a few more dubious feats during their current five-game winless streak.
The Panthers have:
– Been outscored 21-10 and shutout three times. Florida’s four shutouts this season lead the league;
– Tied an NHL record for losing three straight games in overtime, becoming only the second (Nashville) to do it all on home ice;
– Became the first NHL team this season to lose two games when scoring five goals. St. Louis is the only other team to have ‘accomplished’ that feat.
On Monday, Florida was handled rather easily at home against Toronto — the Leafs won 3-0 — pushing the Panthers’ home record to 2-3-3 this year.
Considering how good Florida was at the BB&T Center last season (21-9-11, 10th best in the NHL), it’s not surprising this turn of events is eating at the entire team.
“It’s frustrating times and we have to find ways to be more consistent,” Brian Campbell told the Herald. “It stings a lot. We wanted to come into [this homestand] and make it to .500 and we’re not there.
“We have a lot of work to do going on the road. To have a fairly good road trip, then come home for this, it hurts.”
- Senators’ OT hero Greening shows victory scars 0
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 11
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 11
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles