Feb 19, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers rank dead last in a number of key statistical categories this season: goals allowed per game (3.73), goal differential (minus-21) and overtime/shoot-out losses (four).
Those facts alone are depressing — but wait, there’s more!
According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, the Panthers racked up a few more dubious feats during their current five-game winless streak.
The Panthers have:
— Been outscored 21-10 and shutout three times. Florida’s four shutouts this season lead the league;
— Tied an NHL record for losing three straight games in overtime, becoming only the second (Nashville) to do it all on home ice;
— Became the first NHL team this season to lose two games when scoring five goals. St. Louis is the only other team to have ‘accomplished’ that feat.
On Monday, Florida was handled rather easily at home against Toronto — the Leafs won 3-0 — pushing the Panthers’ home record to 2-3-3 this year.
Considering how good Florida was at the BB&T Center last season (21-9-11, 10th best in the NHL), it’s not surprising this turn of events is eating at the entire team.
“It’s frustrating times and we have to find ways to be more consistent,” Brian Campbell told the Herald. “It stings a lot. We wanted to come into [this homestand] and make it to .500 and we’re not there.
“We have a lot of work to do going on the road. To have a fairly good road trip, then come home for this, it hurts.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)