Feb 19, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
The Florida Panthers rank dead last in a number of key statistical categories this season: goals allowed per game (3.73), goal differential (minus-21) and overtime/shoot-out losses (four).
Those facts alone are depressing — but wait, there’s more!
According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, the Panthers racked up a few more dubious feats during their current five-game winless streak.
The Panthers have:
– Been outscored 21-10 and shutout three times. Florida’s four shutouts this season lead the league;
– Tied an NHL record for losing three straight games in overtime, becoming only the second (Nashville) to do it all on home ice;
– Became the first NHL team this season to lose two games when scoring five goals. St. Louis is the only other team to have ‘accomplished’ that feat.
On Monday, Florida was handled rather easily at home against Toronto — the Leafs won 3-0 — pushing the Panthers’ home record to 2-3-3 this year.
Considering how good Florida was at the BB&T Center last season (21-9-11, 10th best in the NHL), it’s not surprising this turn of events is eating at the entire team.
“It’s frustrating times and we have to find ways to be more consistent,” Brian Campbell told the Herald. “It stings a lot. We wanted to come into [this homestand] and make it to .500 and we’re not there.
“We have a lot of work to do going on the road. To have a fairly good road trip, then come home for this, it hurts.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)