Feb 19, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers rank dead last in a number of key statistical categories this season: goals allowed per game (3.73), goal differential (minus-21) and overtime/shoot-out losses (four).
Those facts alone are depressing — but wait, there’s more!
According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, the Panthers racked up a few more dubious feats during their current five-game winless streak.
The Panthers have:
– Been outscored 21-10 and shutout three times. Florida’s four shutouts this season lead the league;
– Tied an NHL record for losing three straight games in overtime, becoming only the second (Nashville) to do it all on home ice;
– Became the first NHL team this season to lose two games when scoring five goals. St. Louis is the only other team to have ‘accomplished’ that feat.
On Monday, Florida was handled rather easily at home against Toronto — the Leafs won 3-0 — pushing the Panthers’ home record to 2-3-3 this year.
Considering how good Florida was at the BB&T Center last season (21-9-11, 10th best in the NHL), it’s not surprising this turn of events is eating at the entire team.
“It’s frustrating times and we have to find ways to be more consistent,” Brian Campbell told the Herald. “It stings a lot. We wanted to come into [this homestand] and make it to .500 and we’re not there.
“We have a lot of work to do going on the road. To have a fairly good road trip, then come home for this, it hurts.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)