Feb 19, 2013, 2:09 AM EDT
Welcome back, Jonas Hiller.
The 31-year-old Anaheim Ducks goalie, who had been out of the lineup with a lower body injury since Feb. 8, made 27 saves in a 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets to mark his return to game action.
“We could have been down 4-0 after the first 10 minutes, but he kept us in there until we battled back,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told NHL.com.
“His athleticism was great. Some of the saves he made, he shouldn’t have made. But he did, and that was what we saw last year from January through March, and that’s what makes him a great goaltender.”
Since coming out of the lineup due to injury, Hiller has watched as NHL rookie Viktor Fasth, 30, won eight of his first nine games of the season.
“I’ve always said it’s nice to have a good backup … he gave me days to not feel rushed coming back,” Hiller told the L.A. Times.
“There’s some competition now. For sure, I want to play as much as possible, but as long as we’re winning … .”
Corey Perry scored the game-winning goal on a power play just before the midway point of the third period.
The Ducks have now five in a row and are two points back of the Chicago Blackhawks for top spot in the Western Conference.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)