Feb 19, 2013, 2:09 AM EST
Welcome back, Jonas Hiller.
The 31-year-old Anaheim Ducks goalie, who had been out of the lineup with a lower body injury since Feb. 8, made 27 saves in a 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets to mark his return to game action.
“We could have been down 4-0 after the first 10 minutes, but he kept us in there until we battled back,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told NHL.com.
“His athleticism was great. Some of the saves he made, he shouldn’t have made. But he did, and that was what we saw last year from January through March, and that’s what makes him a great goaltender.”
Since coming out of the lineup due to injury, Hiller has watched as NHL rookie Viktor Fasth, 30, won eight of his first nine games of the season.
“I’ve always said it’s nice to have a good backup … he gave me days to not feel rushed coming back,” Hiller told the L.A. Times.
“There’s some competition now. For sure, I want to play as much as possible, but as long as we’re winning … .”
Corey Perry scored the game-winning goal on a power play just before the midway point of the third period.
The Ducks have now five in a row and are two points back of the Chicago Blackhawks for top spot in the Western Conference.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)