Feb 18, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
There was some major controversy in Denver during the Avalanche’s 6-5 win over Nashville this afternoon.
At the 3:18 mark of the second period, Colorado center Matt Duchene scored on a breakaway after what appeared to be a blown offside call:
As you can see, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz was furious with the decision made by linesman Derek Amell.
UPDATE: According to Josh Cooper of The Tennessean, Trotz said the league told him the play should’ve been called offside.
Here’s a still image of the play, courtesy Jim Diamond of the Nashville Examiner:
Duchene’s goal set the tone for what would be a wild second period.
The Avs and Preds combined for seven goals in a span of 15:52 — pretty remarkable considering Nashville was the league’s lowest-scoring team (1.87 goals per game) heading into today’s contest, and Colorado was 26th (2.31).
To give you a sense of the reaction at the Pepsi Center, here’s Mike Chambers of the Denver Post:
Linesman is Derek Amell, BTW, and that was probably the biggest blown NHL non-call I have ever seen. I feel sorry for the dude
— Mike Chambers (@MChambersDP) February 18, 2013
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 7
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 20
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11