Feb 18, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
There was some major controversy in Denver during the Avalanche’s 6-5 win over Nashville this afternoon.
At the 3:18 mark of the second period, Colorado center Matt Duchene scored on a breakaway after what appeared to be a blown offside call:
As you can see, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz was furious with the decision made by linesman Derek Amell.
UPDATE: According to Josh Cooper of The Tennessean, Trotz said the league told him the play should’ve been called offside.
Here’s a still image of the play, courtesy Jim Diamond of the Nashville Examiner:
Duchene’s goal set the tone for what would be a wild second period.
The Avs and Preds combined for seven goals in a span of 15:52 — pretty remarkable considering Nashville was the league’s lowest-scoring team (1.87 goals per game) heading into today’s contest, and Colorado was 26th (2.31).
To give you a sense of the reaction at the Pepsi Center, here’s Mike Chambers of the Denver Post:
Linesman is Derek Amell, BTW, and that was probably the biggest blown NHL non-call I have ever seen. I feel sorry for the dude
— Mike Chambers (@MChambersDP) February 18, 2013
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)