Feb 18, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Officially, he has an upper body injury, but coach Kirk Muller didn’t know if Skinner was being bothered by concussion-like symptoms after crashing head-first into the boards during Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
His immediate reaction to that hit was concerning, but Skinner eventually got up and said he felt fine following the contest. He even participated in Friday’s practice, but he wasn’t feeling well when the Hurricanes got back on the ice Sunday.
Muller said Skinner will be evaluated on Tuesday.
Although this is all speculative at this point, the thought of Skinner having a concussion is particularly troubling given his history. He’s only in his third season and this could potentially be the second concussion he’s sustained while playing at the NHL level. He missed 16 games due to the injury in 2011-12.
Skinner has gotten off to a fantastic start this season with seven goals and 14 points in 13 games.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35