Feb 18, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Officially, he has an upper body injury, but coach Kirk Muller didn’t know if Skinner was being bothered by concussion-like symptoms after crashing head-first into the boards during Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
His immediate reaction to that hit was concerning, but Skinner eventually got up and said he felt fine following the contest. He even participated in Friday’s practice, but he wasn’t feeling well when the Hurricanes got back on the ice Sunday.
Muller said Skinner will be evaluated on Tuesday.
Although this is all speculative at this point, the thought of Skinner having a concussion is particularly troubling given his history. He’s only in his third season and this could potentially be the second concussion he’s sustained while playing at the NHL level. He missed 16 games due to the injury in 2011-12.
Skinner has gotten off to a fantastic start this season with seven goals and 14 points in 13 games.
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 21
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 21
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 47
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)