Feb 18, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Officially, he has an upper body injury, but coach Kirk Muller didn’t know if Skinner was being bothered by concussion-like symptoms after crashing head-first into the boards during Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
His immediate reaction to that hit was concerning, but Skinner eventually got up and said he felt fine following the contest. He even participated in Friday’s practice, but he wasn’t feeling well when the Hurricanes got back on the ice Sunday.
Muller said Skinner will be evaluated on Tuesday.
Although this is all speculative at this point, the thought of Skinner having a concussion is particularly troubling given his history. He’s only in his third season and this could potentially be the second concussion he’s sustained while playing at the NHL level. He missed 16 games due to the injury in 2011-12.
Skinner has gotten off to a fantastic start this season with seven goals and 14 points in 13 games.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 12
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 8
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 31
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 110
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37