Feb 18, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
Officially, he has an upper body injury, but coach Kirk Muller didn’t know if Skinner was being bothered by concussion-like symptoms after crashing head-first into the boards during Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
His immediate reaction to that hit was concerning, but Skinner eventually got up and said he felt fine following the contest. He even participated in Friday’s practice, but he wasn’t feeling well when the Hurricanes got back on the ice Sunday.
Muller said Skinner will be evaluated on Tuesday.
Although this is all speculative at this point, the thought of Skinner having a concussion is particularly troubling given his history. He’s only in his third season and this could potentially be the second concussion he’s sustained while playing at the NHL level. He missed 16 games due to the injury in 2011-12.
Skinner has gotten off to a fantastic start this season with seven goals and 14 points in 13 games.
- Report: Devils fire coach DeBoer 0
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)