Feb 18, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Officially, he has an upper body injury, but coach Kirk Muller didn’t know if Skinner was being bothered by concussion-like symptoms after crashing head-first into the boards during Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
His immediate reaction to that hit was concerning, but Skinner eventually got up and said he felt fine following the contest. He even participated in Friday’s practice, but he wasn’t feeling well when the Hurricanes got back on the ice Sunday.
Muller said Skinner will be evaluated on Tuesday.
Although this is all speculative at this point, the thought of Skinner having a concussion is particularly troubling given his history. He’s only in his third season and this could potentially be the second concussion he’s sustained while playing at the NHL level. He missed 16 games due to the injury in 2011-12.
Skinner has gotten off to a fantastic start this season with seven goals and 14 points in 13 games.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)