Feb 18, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks started the season a perfect 7-0-0.
Since then, they’ve gone 0-4-3.
That slide has brought up what feels like an annual rite of passage in the Bay Area — talks of GM Doug Wilson shaking things up via trade.
Just one catch: Wilson says it ain’t gonna happen.
“The answer lies within that room,” Wilson told the San Jose Mercury News, pointing to the Sharks’ dressing room. “If we hadn’t seen the glimpse of the seven-game start, that would tell you something.
“There are other teams that have gone through phases of losing some games, other very good, talented teams out there that are not on top of their game to the level they want to be.”
“We’re more concerned about our group and getting back to the things that led us to the first seven games.”
All that said, let’s not forget that Wilson has a lengthy history of dealmaking.
Since 2011 he’s brought in the likes of Ben Eager, Ian White, Brent Burns, Martin Havlat, TJ Galiardi, Daniel Winnik and Brad Stuart while shipping out Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi, Jamie McGinn, Brad Staubitz and Charlie Coyle.
Now, though, he appears unwilling to move any pieces — though part of that could be out of his control.
San Jose has made just two first-round selections since 2007 and one of them, Coyle, has already been moved.
As for dealing future picks? Wilson has first-rounders at his disposal, but is thin in the middle rounds. At the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, for example, San Jose will be without its third- and fourth-round selections.
Back on the ice, things don’t promise to get any easier for the Sharks in the near future.
They play 12 of their next 17 on the road, which includes a stretch of seven of eight away from the Shark Tank from Mar. 10-25.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Phoenix goes to Vancouver shorthanded.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Columbus dominated Minnesota 4-0 on Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Recalled forward Zach Boychuk played Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
After 15 seasons and two Stanley Cup victories.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Worse yet, another high Tampa Bay draft pick delivered the blow.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
According to Fox Sports Detroit.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Damaged defense in Dallas.
Dec 6, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Meanwhile, Bryan Bickell might resume skating next week.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
A roster shuffle is expected.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane like where this is going.
Dec 6, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
In which we ask the question, does Team Canada need a player like Milan Lucic?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
Tough break for the Swedish defenseman.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
“I’m sure after a little while I won’t even notice it.”
Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Veteran defenseman enjoyed his best years in Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
Boston blueliner was hurt vs. Montreal last night.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)