Feb 18, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks started the season a perfect 7-0-0.
Since then, they’ve gone 0-4-3.
That slide has brought up what feels like an annual rite of passage in the Bay Area — talks of GM Doug Wilson shaking things up via trade.
Just one catch: Wilson says it ain’t gonna happen.
“The answer lies within that room,” Wilson told the San Jose Mercury News, pointing to the Sharks’ dressing room. “If we hadn’t seen the glimpse of the seven-game start, that would tell you something.
“There are other teams that have gone through phases of losing some games, other very good, talented teams out there that are not on top of their game to the level they want to be.”
“We’re more concerned about our group and getting back to the things that led us to the first seven games.”
All that said, let’s not forget that Wilson has a lengthy history of dealmaking.
Since 2011 he’s brought in the likes of Ben Eager, Ian White, Brent Burns, Martin Havlat, TJ Galiardi, Daniel Winnik and Brad Stuart while shipping out Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi, Jamie McGinn, Brad Staubitz and Charlie Coyle.
Now, though, he appears unwilling to move any pieces — though part of that could be out of his control.
San Jose has made just two first-round selections since 2007 and one of them, Coyle, has already been moved.
As for dealing future picks? Wilson has first-rounders at his disposal, but is thin in the middle rounds. At the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, for example, San Jose will be without its third- and fourth-round selections.
Back on the ice, things don’t promise to get any easier for the Sharks in the near future.
They play 12 of their next 17 on the road, which includes a stretch of seven of eight away from the Shark Tank from Mar. 10-25.
Aug 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Toronto got off to a 19-9-3 start. And then…
Aug 5, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)