Feb 18, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks started the season a perfect 7-0-0.
Since then, they’ve gone 0-4-3.
That slide has brought up what feels like an annual rite of passage in the Bay Area — talks of GM Doug Wilson shaking things up via trade.
Just one catch: Wilson says it ain’t gonna happen.
“The answer lies within that room,” Wilson told the San Jose Mercury News, pointing to the Sharks’ dressing room. “If we hadn’t seen the glimpse of the seven-game start, that would tell you something.
“There are other teams that have gone through phases of losing some games, other very good, talented teams out there that are not on top of their game to the level they want to be.”
“We’re more concerned about our group and getting back to the things that led us to the first seven games.”
All that said, let’s not forget that Wilson has a lengthy history of dealmaking.
Since 2011 he’s brought in the likes of Ben Eager, Ian White, Brent Burns, Martin Havlat, TJ Galiardi, Daniel Winnik and Brad Stuart while shipping out Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi, Jamie McGinn, Brad Staubitz and Charlie Coyle.
Now, though, he appears unwilling to move any pieces — though part of that could be out of his control.
San Jose has made just two first-round selections since 2007 and one of them, Coyle, has already been moved.
As for dealing future picks? Wilson has first-rounders at his disposal, but is thin in the middle rounds. At the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, for example, San Jose will be without its third- and fourth-round selections.
Back on the ice, things don’t promise to get any easier for the Sharks in the near future.
They play 12 of their next 17 on the road, which includes a stretch of seven of eight away from the Shark Tank from Mar. 10-25.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)