Feb 18, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
Times have been dark in Ottawa since Erik Karlsson was lost for the season.
On Monday, they got a little brighter.
The Senators scored their first goal and recorded their first win since the Karlsson injury, edging the New Jersey Devils 2-1 in a shootout on Presidents Day.
Jakob Silfverberg scored the lone shootout marker to snap Ottawa’s two-game losing streak.
As for the Sens’ goalless drought — they last scored at 10:55 of the second period against Pittsburgh on Feb. 14 (Karlsson was hurt with 23 seconds left in the frame.)
That was followed by a 3-0 loss to Toronto on Saturday, so when Daniel Alfredsson scored at 8:12 of the third period against the Devils, it marked Ottawa’s first goal in over six periods.
Alfredsson’s tally came after New Jersey’s Stephen Gionta opened the scoring at 1:12 of the first period.
It was Gionta’s second goal of the year, highlighting a solid outing — the diminutive forward finished with three hits, 15:49 TOI and was named the game’s third star.
Aside from Gionta and Alfredsson, scoring was hard to come by.
The win was a huge boost of confidence for Bishop, who came into the contest without a victory and with pedestrian numbers (3.03 GAA, .910 save percentage.)
New Jersey now finds itself in the midst of mini-slump, having one just once in its last four contests.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Team Foligno sweeps first competition.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)