Feb 18, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
Times have been dark in Ottawa since Erik Karlsson was lost for the season.
On Monday, they got a little brighter.
The Senators scored their first goal and recorded their first win since the Karlsson injury, edging the New Jersey Devils 2-1 in a shootout on Presidents Day.
Jakob Silfverberg scored the lone shootout marker to snap Ottawa’s two-game losing streak.
As for the Sens’ goalless drought — they last scored at 10:55 of the second period against Pittsburgh on Feb. 14 (Karlsson was hurt with 23 seconds left in the frame.)
That was followed by a 3-0 loss to Toronto on Saturday, so when Daniel Alfredsson scored at 8:12 of the third period against the Devils, it marked Ottawa’s first goal in over six periods.
Alfredsson’s tally came after New Jersey’s Stephen Gionta opened the scoring at 1:12 of the first period.
It was Gionta’s second goal of the year, highlighting a solid outing — the diminutive forward finished with three hits, 15:49 TOI and was named the game’s third star.
Aside from Gionta and Alfredsson, scoring was hard to come by.
The win was a huge boost of confidence for Bishop, who came into the contest without a victory and with pedestrian numbers (3.03 GAA, .910 save percentage.)
New Jersey now finds itself in the midst of mini-slump, having one just once in its last four contests.
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 14
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 3
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)