Feb 18, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
Times have been dark in Ottawa since Erik Karlsson was lost for the season.
On Monday, they got a little brighter.
The Senators scored their first goal and recorded their first win since the Karlsson injury, edging the New Jersey Devils 2-1 in a shootout on Presidents Day.
Jakob Silfverberg scored the lone shootout marker to snap Ottawa’s two-game losing streak.
As for the Sens’ goalless drought — they last scored at 10:55 of the second period against Pittsburgh on Feb. 14 (Karlsson was hurt with 23 seconds left in the frame.)
That was followed by a 3-0 loss to Toronto on Saturday, so when Daniel Alfredsson scored at 8:12 of the third period against the Devils, it marked Ottawa’s first goal in over six periods.
Alfredsson’s tally came after New Jersey’s Stephen Gionta opened the scoring at 1:12 of the first period.
It was Gionta’s second goal of the year, highlighting a solid outing — the diminutive forward finished with three hits, 15:49 TOI and was named the game’s third star.
Aside from Gionta and Alfredsson, scoring was hard to come by.
The win was a huge boost of confidence for Bishop, who came into the contest without a victory and with pedestrian numbers (3.03 GAA, .910 save percentage.)
New Jersey now finds itself in the midst of mini-slump, having one just once in its last four contests.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)