Feb 18, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
Times have been dark in Ottawa since Erik Karlsson was lost for the season.
On Monday, they got a little brighter.
The Senators scored their first goal and recorded their first win since the Karlsson injury, edging the New Jersey Devils 2-1 in a shootout on Presidents Day.
Jakob Silfverberg scored the lone shootout marker to snap Ottawa’s two-game losing streak.
As for the Sens’ goalless drought — they last scored at 10:55 of the second period against Pittsburgh on Feb. 14 (Karlsson was hurt with 23 seconds left in the frame.)
That was followed by a 3-0 loss to Toronto on Saturday, so when Daniel Alfredsson scored at 8:12 of the third period against the Devils, it marked Ottawa’s first goal in over six periods.
Alfredsson’s tally came after New Jersey’s Stephen Gionta opened the scoring at 1:12 of the first period.
It was Gionta’s second goal of the year, highlighting a solid outing — the diminutive forward finished with three hits, 15:49 TOI and was named the game’s third star.
Aside from Gionta and Alfredsson, scoring was hard to come by.
The win was a huge boost of confidence for Bishop, who came into the contest without a victory and with pedestrian numbers (3.03 GAA, .910 save percentage.)
New Jersey now finds itself in the midst of mini-slump, having one just once in its last four contests.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)