Feb 18, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis says his club is still looking to add a veteran presence between the pipes.
“Yes,” Nonis replied, when asked by TSN1050′s Dave Naylor if Toronto was still looking to acquire an experienced goalie. “Both our goalies are aware of it, it’s not that we don’t think we have NHL-calibre goaltenders, or goalies with the ability to become very good starting goaltenders.
“But if we could add someone to help them along, a veteran that would help them grow, then we would do it.”
Third-stringer Jussi Rynnas has just two games of NHL experience, so he’s an emergency option at best.
The issue isn’t how well that group has handled things so far — Reimer has been solid, Scrivens outstanding in relief — but rather how they’ll react when things heat up.
The Leafs looked to be postseason-bound in 2011-12 but collapsed badly down the stretch, missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year.
The weight of that collapse was shouldered largely by Reimer (23 then, now 24) and partly by Scrivens (25 then, 26 now), leading many to suggest an older, more experienced goalie would prove crucial when the pressure rises.
Count Nonis among them — assuming he can find such a guy.
“At this point, there hasn’t been a veteran available, at least not at a price that makes any sense for us,” Nonis explained. “To the credit of both our goaltenders, they’ve stepped up and played very, very well.
“It hasn’t changed — we’d like to give them some help, some guidance along the way. But if that’s not available at a reasonable price, we’re content to go with the two we have.”
So…no Luongo, then?
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)