Feb 18, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis says his club is still looking to add a veteran presence between the pipes.
“Yes,” Nonis replied, when asked by TSN1050’s Dave Naylor if Toronto was still looking to acquire an experienced goalie. “Both our goalies are aware of it, it’s not that we don’t think we have NHL-calibre goaltenders, or goalies with the ability to become very good starting goaltenders.
“But if we could add someone to help them along, a veteran that would help them grow, then we would do it.”
Third-stringer Jussi Rynnas has just two games of NHL experience, so he’s an emergency option at best.
The issue isn’t how well that group has handled things so far — Reimer has been solid, Scrivens outstanding in relief — but rather how they’ll react when things heat up.
The Leafs looked to be postseason-bound in 2011-12 but collapsed badly down the stretch, missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year.
The weight of that collapse was shouldered largely by Reimer (23 then, now 24) and partly by Scrivens (25 then, 26 now), leading many to suggest an older, more experienced goalie would prove crucial when the pressure rises.
Count Nonis among them — assuming he can find such a guy.
“At this point, there hasn’t been a veteran available, at least not at a price that makes any sense for us,” Nonis explained. “To the credit of both our goaltenders, they’ve stepped up and played very, very well.
“It hasn’t changed — we’d like to give them some help, some guidance along the way. But if that’s not available at a reasonable price, we’re content to go with the two we have.”
So…no Luongo, then?
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 29
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)