Feb 18, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis says his club is still looking to add a veteran presence between the pipes.
“Yes,” Nonis replied, when asked by TSN1050’s Dave Naylor if Toronto was still looking to acquire an experienced goalie. “Both our goalies are aware of it, it’s not that we don’t think we have NHL-calibre goaltenders, or goalies with the ability to become very good starting goaltenders.
“But if we could add someone to help them along, a veteran that would help them grow, then we would do it.”
Third-stringer Jussi Rynnas has just two games of NHL experience, so he’s an emergency option at best.
The issue isn’t how well that group has handled things so far — Reimer has been solid, Scrivens outstanding in relief — but rather how they’ll react when things heat up.
The Leafs looked to be postseason-bound in 2011-12 but collapsed badly down the stretch, missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year.
The weight of that collapse was shouldered largely by Reimer (23 then, now 24) and partly by Scrivens (25 then, 26 now), leading many to suggest an older, more experienced goalie would prove crucial when the pressure rises.
Count Nonis among them — assuming he can find such a guy.
“At this point, there hasn’t been a veteran available, at least not at a price that makes any sense for us,” Nonis explained. “To the credit of both our goaltenders, they’ve stepped up and played very, very well.
“It hasn’t changed — we’d like to give them some help, some guidance along the way. But if that’s not available at a reasonable price, we’re content to go with the two we have.”
So…no Luongo, then?
May 26, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT
Monday’s tough loss hasn’t weakened his resolve.
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)