Feb 18, 2013, 9:31 PM EDT
The Islanders’ 7-0 loss to Philadelphia on Monday was made even worse with the announcement that defenseman Brian Strait suffered a broken ankle.
Strait, 25, has been put on injured reserve and replaced by fellow defenseman Radek Martinek, who was activated to New York’s official roster.
The former Penguins rearguard caught a rut in the second period of the Flyers game and crashed feet-first into the boards, breaking his ankle in the process. Newsday reports the recovery time is 6-8 weeks, and that Strait’s season might be finished.
It’s a tough blow for a guy that only just got his NHL career on track.
Strait was plucked off waivers from Pittsburgh the day prior to New York’s season-opening loss to New Jersey and has since gone on to appear in 15 games, registering four assists with a plus-3 rating while averaging 17:54 in ice time.
On Jan. 31, the Islanders signed Strait to a three-year, $2.3 million extension.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)