Feb 18, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
One more win, and the ‘Hawks make history.
That’ll be the story on Tuesday in Chicago, as the Blackhawks take on the Canucks with a special mark in their sights — 16 games to start a season without a regulation loss.
Chicago is 12-0-3 thus far and one of just three teams in NHL history to start the season by getting points in each of the first 15 games of the year.
One was the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers, who had their streak stop at 15 — the other was the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks, who ran their streak to 16 before finally suffering a regulation loss.
The ‘Hawks can match the Ducks’ mark tomorrow evening, but apparently aren’t focusing on it.
“What’s important to us is getting home-ice advantage, making the playoffs,” Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said (as per the Associated Press). “Those are our goals. Once you get there, the real season starts.
“When you get to that point, no one really cares or remembers those streaks at the start of the season.”
That said, Toews might want to take a closer look at the 2006-07 season.
Anaheim’s red-hot start paved the way for a dominant campaign. The team won its first-ever Pacific Division crown on the strength of a 48-20-14 season (110 points, the most in franchise history), then blew through the playoffs, going 16-5 en route to its first Stanley Cup championship.
Toews also might want to look at the ’84-85 Oilers. After starting the year 12-0-3, they went on to win the Stanley Cup with a 4-1 series win over the Philadelphia Flyers.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After playing a man short on Tuesday in Philly.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Some good news for Edmonton on the injury front.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
If he could get going, Dallas wouldn’t be as reliant on its top line.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
It appears that the health of “Mr. Hockey” has been improving.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He hopes to end his scoring slump against Detroit tonight.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Can Alex Ovechkin break his cold streak?
Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Markus Granlund gets called up amid many injuries.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
“Right now, the playing situation is out of my control.”
Oct 29, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Punished for making the head the primary point of contact.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)