Feb 18, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
One more win, and the ‘Hawks make history.
That’ll be the story on Tuesday in Chicago, as the Blackhawks take on the Canucks with a special mark in their sights — 16 games to start a season without a regulation loss.
Chicago is 12-0-3 thus far and one of just three teams in NHL history to start the season by getting points in each of the first 15 games of the year.
One was the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers, who had their streak stop at 15 — the other was the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks, who ran their streak to 16 before finally suffering a regulation loss.
The ‘Hawks can match the Ducks’ mark tomorrow evening, but apparently aren’t focusing on it.
“What’s important to us is getting home-ice advantage, making the playoffs,” Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said (as per the Associated Press). “Those are our goals. Once you get there, the real season starts.
“When you get to that point, no one really cares or remembers those streaks at the start of the season.”
That said, Toews might want to take a closer look at the 2006-07 season.
Anaheim’s red-hot start paved the way for a dominant campaign. The team won its first-ever Pacific Division crown on the strength of a 48-20-14 season (110 points, the most in franchise history), then blew through the playoffs, going 16-5 en route to its first Stanley Cup championship.
Toews also might want to look at the ’84-85 Oilers. After starting the year 12-0-3, they went on to win the Stanley Cup with a 4-1 series win over the Philadelphia Flyers.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Rob Zepp was starting to look like a possibility to be the team’s backup.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Zdeno Chara’s advancing age is one reason for Bruins fans to worry.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Devils coach Pete DeBoer says they’re still dating.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)