Feb 18, 2013, 8:39 PM EST
One more win, and the ‘Hawks make history.
That’ll be the story on Tuesday in Chicago, as the Blackhawks take on the Canucks with a special mark in their sights — 16 games to start a season without a regulation loss.
Chicago is 12-0-3 thus far and one of just three teams in NHL history to start the season by getting points in each of the first 15 games of the year.
One was the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers, who had their streak stop at 15 — the other was the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks, who ran their streak to 16 before finally suffering a regulation loss.
The ‘Hawks can match the Ducks’ mark tomorrow evening, but apparently aren’t focusing on it.
“What’s important to us is getting home-ice advantage, making the playoffs,” Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said (as per the Associated Press). “Those are our goals. Once you get there, the real season starts.
“When you get to that point, no one really cares or remembers those streaks at the start of the season.”
That said, Toews might want to take a closer look at the 2006-07 season.
Anaheim’s red-hot start paved the way for a dominant campaign. The team won its first-ever Pacific Division crown on the strength of a 48-20-14 season (110 points, the most in franchise history), then blew through the playoffs, going 16-5 en route to its first Stanley Cup championship.
Toews also might want to look at the ’84-85 Oilers. After starting the year 12-0-3, they went on to win the Stanley Cup with a 4-1 series win over the Philadelphia Flyers.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:42 PM EST
A lost campaign for the veteran Sharks forward.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
“People are getting excited for mid-range players.”
Feb 26, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
A couple of tweets are causing a stir in Chicago.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:24 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
But, his agent says the organization has “respected our position of leaving negotiations until after the season.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM EST
“We would love to have him as an Av for a long time.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Willie Desjardins, playing it safe.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
The two teams meet again, just 48 hours after the incident.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)