Feb 18, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
One more win, and the ‘Hawks make history.
That’ll be the story on Tuesday in Chicago, as the Blackhawks take on the Canucks with a special mark in their sights — 16 games to start a season without a regulation loss.
Chicago is 12-0-3 thus far and one of just three teams in NHL history to start the season by getting points in each of the first 15 games of the year.
One was the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers, who had their streak stop at 15 — the other was the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks, who ran their streak to 16 before finally suffering a regulation loss.
The ‘Hawks can match the Ducks’ mark tomorrow evening, but apparently aren’t focusing on it.
“What’s important to us is getting home-ice advantage, making the playoffs,” Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said (as per the Associated Press). “Those are our goals. Once you get there, the real season starts.
“When you get to that point, no one really cares or remembers those streaks at the start of the season.”
That said, Toews might want to take a closer look at the 2006-07 season.
Anaheim’s red-hot start paved the way for a dominant campaign. The team won its first-ever Pacific Division crown on the strength of a 48-20-14 season (110 points, the most in franchise history), then blew through the playoffs, going 16-5 en route to its first Stanley Cup championship.
Toews also might want to look at the ’84-85 Oilers. After starting the year 12-0-3, they went on to win the Stanley Cup with a 4-1 series win over the Philadelphia Flyers.
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 2
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 6
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 25
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 87
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (87)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months