Feb 18, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
The line was stellar throughout the afternoon and gave hope that the Flyers — who had only been averaging 2.38 goals per game this year, 24th in the league — found a dynamic top line to boost their offense.
Voracek finished with four assists, Read with 1G-2A and Giroux with 2G-1A, the latter of great significance as it was Giroux’s first three-point performance of the year.
Giroux opened the scoring just 26 seconds into the game, with the assists going to — who else? — Read and Voracek. The goal also stood as the deciding tally, Giroux’s first game-winning goal of the season.
As for other key Flyers performances on the day:
— Daniel Briere finished with 2G-1A-3PTS, nearly doubling his output for the season. Coming into today, Briere had just five points through 12 games.
— Ilya Bryzgalov stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season.
— Brayden Schenn finished with 1G-1A-2PTS, his second multi-point game of the season.
— Zac Rinaldo‘s third-period tally was his first point and goal of the year.
Not much to say from the Islanders’ side of things, other than they’ll want to throw this performance in the garbage and forget about it entirely.
Oh, and in case you’re curious, it was 16 years ago that Philly’s famed “Legion of Doom” line of Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Mikael Renberg combined for 16 points in a 8-5 win over the Ottawa Senators.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:42 PM EST
A lost campaign for the veteran Sharks forward.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 14
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 32
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)