Feb 18, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
The line was stellar throughout the afternoon and gave hope that the Flyers — who had only been averaging 2.38 goals per game this year, 24th in the league — found a dynamic top line to boost their offense.
Voracek finished with four assists, Read with 1G-2A and Giroux with 2G-1A, the latter of great significance as it was Giroux’s first three-point performance of the year.
Giroux opened the scoring just 26 seconds into the game, with the assists going to — who else? — Read and Voracek. The goal also stood as the deciding tally, Giroux’s first game-winning goal of the season.
As for other key Flyers performances on the day:
– Daniel Briere finished with 2G-1A-3PTS, nearly doubling his output for the season. Coming into today, Briere had just five points through 12 games.
– Ilya Bryzgalov stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season.
– Brayden Schenn finished with 1G-1A-2PTS, his second multi-point game of the season.
– Zac Rinaldo‘s third-period tally was his first point and goal of the year.
Not much to say from the Islanders’ side of things, other than they’ll want to throw this performance in the garbage and forget about it entirely.
Oh, and in case you’re curious, it was 16 years ago that Philly’s famed “Legion of Doom” line of Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Mikael Renberg combined for 16 points in a 8-5 win over the Ottawa Senators.
May 20, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Wanna watch 18-year-olds work out? Wait, that came out wrong.
May 20, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Click for the odds on all the finalists.
May 20, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
He was the club’s second-round pick from 2011.
May 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
Thumbs up for Doug Wilson.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
He’s off to Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod.
May 20, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch for Games 1 and 2.
May 20, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Young d-men Torey Krug, Dougie Hamilton and Matt Bartkowski have impressed.
May 20, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
That’s Darnell Nurse, a highly-touted prospect for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
May 20, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
But don’t worry, Sens fans — he’s fine.
May 20, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
San Jose’s Logan Couture played the hero on Saturday night.
May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Which is exactly what the goalie was following Game 3.
May 20, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
All three captains are still competing in the playoffs.
May 20, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
And Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen was apparently on board.
May 20, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Washington is moving into a very tough division.
May 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
He had no points and seven fights.
May 20, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Game 3 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 20, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 20, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT
Had success as a QMJHL coach in Quebec.
May 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
That close to going up 3-0.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 44
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot