Feb 18, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are a third of the way through their 2013 schedule and have a dismal 6-9-1 record. They have shown no recent signs of turning a corner and they’re coming off of a particularly discouraging 4-1 defeat on Saturday.
At this point, are GM Paul Holmgren or head coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs in jeopardy?
“Absolutely not,” said the president of the Flyers’ parent company, Comcast-Spectacor Peter Luukko, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“We just need to be patient, and to even think the general manager or coach are in trouble [is false]. It’s not an issue.”
The Flyers do still have time to turn this around, but team captain Claude Giroux suggested that they’re going to need to look inward for answers.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said after Saturday’s loss to Montreal. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Philadelphia is 1-3-0 on its current road trip and will continue it on Monday against the New York Islanders before wrapping it up Wednesday versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. After that, the Flyers will return home, where they’ve been 4-1-1 this season.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)