Feb 18, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are a third of the way through their 2013 schedule and have a dismal 6-9-1 record. They have shown no recent signs of turning a corner and they’re coming off of a particularly discouraging 4-1 defeat on Saturday.
At this point, are GM Paul Holmgren or head coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs in jeopardy?
“Absolutely not,” said the president of the Flyers’ parent company, Comcast-Spectacor Peter Luukko, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“We just need to be patient, and to even think the general manager or coach are in trouble [is false]. It’s not an issue.”
The Flyers do still have time to turn this around, but team captain Claude Giroux suggested that they’re going to need to look inward for answers.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said after Saturday’s loss to Montreal. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Philadelphia is 1-3-0 on its current road trip and will continue it on Monday against the New York Islanders before wrapping it up Wednesday versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. After that, the Flyers will return home, where they’ve been 4-1-1 this season.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)