Feb 18, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are a third of the way through their 2013 schedule and have a dismal 6-9-1 record. They have shown no recent signs of turning a corner and they’re coming off of a particularly discouraging 4-1 defeat on Saturday.
At this point, are GM Paul Holmgren or head coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs in jeopardy?
“Absolutely not,” said the president of the Flyers’ parent company, Comcast-Spectacor Peter Luukko, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“We just need to be patient, and to even think the general manager or coach are in trouble [is false]. It’s not an issue.”
The Flyers do still have time to turn this around, but team captain Claude Giroux suggested that they’re going to need to look inward for answers.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said after Saturday’s loss to Montreal. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Philadelphia is 1-3-0 on its current road trip and will continue it on Monday against the New York Islanders before wrapping it up Wednesday versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. After that, the Flyers will return home, where they’ve been 4-1-1 this season.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)