Feb 18, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are a third of the way through their 2013 schedule and have a dismal 6-9-1 record. They have shown no recent signs of turning a corner and they’re coming off of a particularly discouraging 4-1 defeat on Saturday.
At this point, are GM Paul Holmgren or head coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs in jeopardy?
“Absolutely not,” said the president of the Flyers’ parent company, Comcast-Spectacor Peter Luukko, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“We just need to be patient, and to even think the general manager or coach are in trouble [is false]. It’s not an issue.”
The Flyers do still have time to turn this around, but team captain Claude Giroux suggested that they’re going to need to look inward for answers.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said after Saturday’s loss to Montreal. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Philadelphia is 1-3-0 on its current road trip and will continue it on Monday against the New York Islanders before wrapping it up Wednesday versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. After that, the Flyers will return home, where they’ve been 4-1-1 this season.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 27
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)