Feb 18, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are a third of the way through their 2013 schedule and have a dismal 6-9-1 record. They have shown no recent signs of turning a corner and they’re coming off of a particularly discouraging 4-1 defeat on Saturday.
At this point, are GM Paul Holmgren or head coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs in jeopardy?
“Absolutely not,” said the president of the Flyers’ parent company, Comcast-Spectacor Peter Luukko, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“We just need to be patient, and to even think the general manager or coach are in trouble [is false]. It’s not an issue.”
The Flyers do still have time to turn this around, but team captain Claude Giroux suggested that they’re going to need to look inward for answers.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said after Saturday’s loss to Montreal. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Philadelphia is 1-3-0 on its current road trip and will continue it on Monday against the New York Islanders before wrapping it up Wednesday versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. After that, the Flyers will return home, where they’ve been 4-1-1 this season.
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 3
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)