Feb 18, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Hiller, 31, hasn’t played since getting hurt in the first period of a Feb. 8 game against the Dallas Stars. While shelved, he’s watched Viktor Fasth emerge as a serious contender for the club’s No. 1 goaltending gig.
Fasth won four straight starts during Hiller’s absence and, on Monday, was named the NHL’s second star of the week. The 30-year-old Swede is now 8-0-0 on the year, one win shy of Ray Emery‘s record for wins to start a career (Emery won nine straight with Ottawa from Mar. 2003 to Nov. 2005.)
It’ll be curious to see how Hiller reacts to Fasth’s emergence. The Swiss netminder hasn’t played especially well this year — 3-2-1, 3.69 GAA, .872 save percentage — and is coming off a year where he was Anaheim’s undisputed (and busy) No. 1 netminder.
In 2011-12, Hiller played in a career-high 73 games and led all NHL goalies in appearances (73), minutes played (4,253) and losses (30).
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)