Feb 18, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
Hiller, 31, hasn’t played since getting hurt in the first period of a Feb. 8 game against the Dallas Stars. While shelved, he’s watched Viktor Fasth emerge as a serious contender for the club’s No. 1 goaltending gig.
Fasth won four straight starts during Hiller’s absence and, on Monday, was named the NHL’s second star of the week. The 30-year-old Swede is now 8-0-0 on the year, one win shy of Ray Emery‘s record for wins to start a career (Emery won nine straight with Ottawa from Mar. 2003 to Nov. 2005.)
It’ll be curious to see how Hiller reacts to Fasth’s emergence. The Swiss netminder hasn’t played especially well this year — 3-2-1, 3.69 GAA, .872 save percentage — and is coming off a year where he was Anaheim’s undisputed (and busy) No. 1 netminder.
In 2011-12, Hiller played in a career-high 73 games and led all NHL goalies in appearances (73), minutes played (4,253) and losses (30).
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)