Feb 18, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Hiller, 31, hasn’t played since getting hurt in the first period of a Feb. 8 game against the Dallas Stars. While shelved, he’s watched Viktor Fasth emerge as a serious contender for the club’s No. 1 goaltending gig.
Fasth won four straight starts during Hiller’s absence and, on Monday, was named the NHL’s second star of the week. The 30-year-old Swede is now 8-0-0 on the year, one win shy of Ray Emery‘s record for wins to start a career (Emery won nine straight with Ottawa from Mar. 2003 to Nov. 2005.)
It’ll be curious to see how Hiller reacts to Fasth’s emergence. The Swiss netminder hasn’t played especially well this year — 3-2-1, 3.69 GAA, .872 save percentage — and is coming off a year where he was Anaheim’s undisputed (and busy) No. 1 netminder.
In 2011-12, Hiller played in a career-high 73 games and led all NHL goalies in appearances (73), minutes played (4,253) and losses (30).
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte