Feb 18, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
While many will argue the “protector” role is overrated and antiquated in today’s NHL, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle is a big believer in players like Colton Orr.
Per the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, it seems Carlyle has developed quite an affinity for Orr. The intimidating 30-year-old forward with 959 career PIM has appeared in all 15 Leafs games, and he played a season-high 12:51 Saturday against Ottawa while skating on a third line with skill players Nazem Kadri and Clarke MacArthur.
“I thought he gave us what we needed,” Carlyle said when asked about Orr’s bump in ice time. “And it’s amazing how things quiet down when he’s out there.”
Of course, the argument against Orr’s deployment remains the same. As Mirtle notes, the Leafs have been “badly out shot” when Orr is on the ice.
Kadri doesn’t seem to mind though.
“Definitely [Orr’s] presence is felt out there,” he said. “Guys know when he’s on the ice. I don’t know if you want to go in the same corner with that guy.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)