Feb 18, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
While many will argue the “protector” role is overrated and antiquated in today’s NHL, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle is a big believer in players like Colton Orr.
Per the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, it seems Carlyle has developed quite an affinity for Orr. The intimidating 30-year-old forward with 959 career PIM has appeared in all 15 Leafs games, and he played a season-high 12:51 Saturday against Ottawa while skating on a third line with skill players Nazem Kadri and Clarke MacArthur.
“I thought he gave us what we needed,” Carlyle said when asked about Orr’s bump in ice time. “And it’s amazing how things quiet down when he’s out there.”
Of course, the argument against Orr’s deployment remains the same. As Mirtle notes, the Leafs have been “badly out shot” when Orr is on the ice.
Kadri doesn’t seem to mind though.
“Definitely [Orr’s] presence is felt out there,” he said. “Guys know when he’s on the ice. I don’t know if you want to go in the same corner with that guy.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)