Feb 18, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
While many will argue the “protector” role is overrated and antiquated in today’s NHL, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle is a big believer in players like Colton Orr.
Per the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, it seems Carlyle has developed quite an affinity for Orr. The intimidating 30-year-old forward with 959 career PIM has appeared in all 15 Leafs games, and he played a season-high 12:51 Saturday against Ottawa while skating on a third line with skill players Nazem Kadri and Clarke MacArthur.
“I thought he gave us what we needed,” Carlyle said when asked about Orr’s bump in ice time. “And it’s amazing how things quiet down when he’s out there.”
Of course, the argument against Orr’s deployment remains the same. As Mirtle notes, the Leafs have been “badly out shot” when Orr is on the ice.
Kadri doesn’t seem to mind though.
“Definitely [Orr’s] presence is felt out there,” he said. “Guys know when he’s on the ice. I don’t know if you want to go in the same corner with that guy.”
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)