Feb 18, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues earned a 4-3 shootout victory against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday, but they got some good news before the game even started.
Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak was warming the bench after spending roughly two weeks on the sidelines with a strained groin. He’ll probably play between the pipes on Tuesday or Wednesday, according to the team’s website.
The St. Louis Blues turned to netminder Brian Elliott due to Halak’s injury, but Elliott went on to post an ugly 4.67 GAA and .810 save percentage in five games.
With the Blues in a free fall because of their goaltending woes, St. Louis benched Elliott in favor of 22-year-old goaltender Jake Allen.
Allen wasn’t stunning, but the Blues won three straight with him in net. He also had his moments as you can see below:
It’s worth adding that Halak has already attempted to return from this injury once before. He was activated off of the injured reserve list on Feb. 10 with the hope that he’d play against the Los Angeles Kings the following day. However, he re-aggravated his groin injury during warmups and was forced to miss another week.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Canucks’ captain scores twice. Where was that in the playoffs?
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
May 19, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
A pair of young players led the way.
May 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Their youthful trio will play once again.
May 19, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch in Games 1 and 2.
May 19, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
He could face league discipline.
May 19, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
He played just 15:37 in Game 2.
May 19, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
The playoffs haven’t been kind.
May 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A pivotal Game 3 awaits in Ottawa.
May 19, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Veteran d-man kept it mellow.
May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
“He screws it up.”
May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Trevor Lewis doesn’t think it was a penalty.
May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Logan Couture goes from injured to game-winner.
May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
His Halifax Mooseheads topped Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks.
May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 19
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 62
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Blue Jays-Yankees finale scrubbed by rain