Feb 17, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres battled back from a 2-0 deficit against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday and even briefly held the lead in the third period. However, the Sabres ultimately suffered a 4-3 loss that dropped them to 6-9-1 this season.
After suffering his third defeat in four games, Buffalo goaltender Ryan Miller participated in a 76 second press conference that included a couple f-bombs, according to the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington.
“Just either not confident enough or experienced enough in the third period with the lead and that burned is. It’s not acceptable,” Miller said.
Sabres forward Steve Ott, who scored the goal that briefly gave Buffalo a 3-2 lead, was a bit more diplomatic.
“I like the determination of the guys to come back and battle and continue to push, push, push. But at the end of it all, we’d be a lot happier with the two points that we deserve to be walking out with,” Ott said, according to the Buffalo News.
Despite this loss, the Buffalo Sabres have actually outscored their opponents 20-16 in the third period of games this season. In fact, that’s the only period the Sabres have had an edge in overall.
Here’s video of Miller’s tirade (H/T to Kukla’s Korner):
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)