Feb 17, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres battled back from a 2-0 deficit against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday and even briefly held the lead in the third period. However, the Sabres ultimately suffered a 4-3 loss that dropped them to 6-9-1 this season.
After suffering his third defeat in four games, Buffalo goaltender Ryan Miller participated in a 76 second press conference that included a couple f-bombs, according to the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington.
“Just either not confident enough or experienced enough in the third period with the lead and that burned is. It’s not acceptable,” Miller said.
Sabres forward Steve Ott, who scored the goal that briefly gave Buffalo a 3-2 lead, was a bit more diplomatic.
“I like the determination of the guys to come back and battle and continue to push, push, push. But at the end of it all, we’d be a lot happier with the two points that we deserve to be walking out with,” Ott said, according to the Buffalo News.
Despite this loss, the Buffalo Sabres have actually outscored their opponents 20-16 in the third period of games this season. In fact, that’s the only period the Sabres have had an edge in overall.
Here’s video of Miller’s tirade (H/T to Kukla’s Korner):
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)