Feb 17, 2013, 1:23 AM EDT
Defenseman Mark Streit and the New York Islanders have had “preliminary” contract extension talks, Arthur Staple of Newsday reported Saturday.
Streit, the Islanders’ 35-year-old captain, is in the final year of a five-year deal worth $20.5 million. He is also coming off a 47-point (and minus-27) campaign a year ago.
So far this season, Streit has seven points in 14 games. The Islanders are 10th in the Eastern Conference, but three points out of seventh.
“The fact is I like it here. We have a really good team,” Streit told Newsday.
“I’ve been here five years and I have a really good role, I love the room and I can tell the improvement is here the last few years. It’s maybe 5 percent we’re missing to break through. Overall, I’d like to stay.”
The Islanders are coming off a 5-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils Saturday. John Tavares had the hat trick for New York.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 32
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0