Feb 17, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Magnus Paajarvi originally wasn’t going to be in the Edmonton Oilers lineup for Saturday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche.
Then Lennart Petrell took a puck to the head during warm-up and didn’t play, which forced Paajarvi into the game.
He ended up scoring the winning goal with 1:34 left in the third period, as the Oilers erased a three-goal deficit late in the second period on their way to an entertaining 6-4 win on home ice.
The Oilers peppered Avalanche netminder Semyon Varlamov with 55 shots – he stopped 50 of them – and finished the game with 56 shots in total.
“It was awesome,” Paajarvi told the Edmonton Journal.
“I was laying on the couch at 6:45. I got to the rink at maybe 7:30. I just didn’t think. I just jumped in.
The Edmonton Journal also reported that Petrell left the arena with a headache.
Center Teemu Hartikainen also left the game for the Oilers with what was reported to be a shoulder injury.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)