Feb 17, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Magnus Paajarvi originally wasn’t going to be in the Edmonton Oilers lineup for Saturday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche.
Then Lennart Petrell took a puck to the head during warm-up and didn’t play, which forced Paajarvi into the game.
He ended up scoring the winning goal with 1:34 left in the third period, as the Oilers erased a three-goal deficit late in the second period on their way to an entertaining 6-4 win on home ice.
The Oilers peppered Avalanche netminder Semyon Varlamov with 55 shots – he stopped 50 of them – and finished the game with 56 shots in total.
“It was awesome,” Paajarvi told the Edmonton Journal.
“I was laying on the couch at 6:45. I got to the rink at maybe 7:30. I just didn’t think. I just jumped in.
The Edmonton Journal also reported that Petrell left the arena with a headache.
Center Teemu Hartikainen also left the game for the Oilers with what was reported to be a shoulder injury.
Hartikainen done for night, Shoulder.—
Mark Spector Sports (@SportsnetSpec) February 17, 2013
Now it's Teemu Hartikained. Shoulder. Not coming back.—
Terry Jones (@sunterryjones) February 17, 2013
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)