Feb 17, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
Since meeting on Jan. 19 to begin their respective National Hockey League seasons, the Chicago Blackhawks and L.A. Kings have gone in different directions.
The Blackhawks are 11-0-3, atop the Western Conference; the Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, are 12th in the West, albeit with two consecutive wins.
In fact, it was the Blackhawks who disrupted all the celebratory vibes when the Kings raised their championship banner. Chicago got right to business with a 5-2 win.
“We got them off on the right foot. We take a lot of credit for their success,” said Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told the L.A. Times.
“They’re an awesome team. Two years removed winning a championship with that same nucleus and they’re all healthy….They’re where they are for a good reason. It’s not hard to figure out.”
There still appears to concrete announcement on who will start in goal for the Kings – Jonathan Bernier, who has won the last two games for L.A. in back-to-back starts, allowing a combined two goals in those starts, or Jonathan Quick, last year’s Conn Smythe Trophy winner.
Meanwhile, the Blackhawks remain without a regulation loss, and they are now 15 games into the season.
A win tomorrow and the Blackhawks could tie the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers for the second best start in NHL history, as broken down Saturday by NHL.com staff writer Tal Pinchevsky.
The 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks have the best start in league history at 12-0-4.
As Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune pointed out: those teams the Blackhawks are chasing won the Stanley Cup.
“Interesting stat,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
“(But) I can’t even think like that. Or go that far. We’re very happy with our start. We put ourselves in a real good spot. Let’s go one game at a time.”
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:42 PM EST
A lost campaign for the veteran Sharks forward.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
“People are getting excited for mid-range players.”
Feb 26, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
A couple of tweets are causing a stir in Chicago.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:24 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
But, his agent says the organization has “respected our position of leaving negotiations until after the season.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM EST
“We would love to have him as an Av for a long time.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Willie Desjardins, playing it safe.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
The two teams meet again, just 48 hours after the incident.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:43 PM EST
Just days after he said he’d report to AHL Norfolk.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Has 16 goals and 21 assists this season.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
According to GM Dean Lombardi.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)