Feb 17, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
Since meeting on Jan. 19 to begin their respective National Hockey League seasons, the Chicago Blackhawks and L.A. Kings have gone in different directions.
The Blackhawks are 11-0-3, atop the Western Conference; the Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, are 12th in the West, albeit with two consecutive wins.
In fact, it was the Blackhawks who disrupted all the celebratory vibes when the Kings raised their championship banner. Chicago got right to business with a 5-2 win.
“We got them off on the right foot. We take a lot of credit for their success,” said Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told the L.A. Times.
“They’re an awesome team. Two years removed winning a championship with that same nucleus and they’re all healthy….They’re where they are for a good reason. It’s not hard to figure out.”
There still appears to concrete announcement on who will start in goal for the Kings – Jonathan Bernier, who has won the last two games for L.A. in back-to-back starts, allowing a combined two goals in those starts, or Jonathan Quick, last year’s Conn Smythe Trophy winner.
Meanwhile, the Blackhawks remain without a regulation loss, and they are now 15 games into the season.
A win tomorrow and the Blackhawks could tie the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers for the second best start in NHL history, as broken down Saturday by NHL.com staff writer Tal Pinchevsky.
The 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks have the best start in league history at 12-0-4.
As Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune pointed out: those teams the Blackhawks are chasing won the Stanley Cup.
“Interesting stat,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
“(But) I can’t even think like that. Or go that far. We’re very happy with our start. We put ourselves in a real good spot. Let’s go one game at a time.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)