Feb 17, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
Since meeting on Jan. 19 to begin their respective National Hockey League seasons, the Chicago Blackhawks and L.A. Kings have gone in different directions.
The Blackhawks are 11-0-3, atop the Western Conference; the Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, are 12th in the West, albeit with two consecutive wins.
In fact, it was the Blackhawks who disrupted all the celebratory vibes when the Kings raised their championship banner. Chicago got right to business with a 5-2 win.
“We got them off on the right foot. We take a lot of credit for their success,” said Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told the L.A. Times.
“They’re an awesome team. Two years removed winning a championship with that same nucleus and they’re all healthy….They’re where they are for a good reason. It’s not hard to figure out.”
There still appears to concrete announcement on who will start in goal for the Kings – Jonathan Bernier, who has won the last two games for L.A. in back-to-back starts, allowing a combined two goals in those starts, or Jonathan Quick, last year’s Conn Smythe Trophy winner.
Meanwhile, the Blackhawks remain without a regulation loss, and they are now 15 games into the season.
A win tomorrow and the Blackhawks could tie the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers for the second best start in NHL history, as broken down Saturday by NHL.com staff writer Tal Pinchevsky.
The 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks have the best start in league history at 12-0-4.
As Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune pointed out: those teams the Blackhawks are chasing won the Stanley Cup.
“Interesting stat,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
“(But) I can’t even think like that. Or go that far. We’re very happy with our start. We put ourselves in a real good spot. Let’s go one game at a time.”
May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
May 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
The ladies sure loved that guy.
May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.
May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.
May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.
May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.
May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”
May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”
May 27, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Either way, Kimmo Timonen is likely out.
May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.
May 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Former Panthers and Devils coach will take over a team that missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
May 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Remember when AV called the youngster out?
May 27, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
“Our door is open for the Capitals, absolutely first and foremost.”
May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Veteran center enjoyed something of a career revival with the Oilers last season.
May 27, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Chicago fans are hoping that dream includes a Game 6 win.
May 27, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Give some credit to his linemates, including “energizer bunny” J.T. Miller.
May 27, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Almost completely shut the door through two periods.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 35
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 14
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)